new lap config - video card and HD

Bro, does your rig even lift?
1mpar_

Post by 1mpar_ »

I´m buying a dell inspiron 9100 laptop and I´m in doubt about the hardware config.
What would be best for resolume playback:
- ATI 9700 128M and 60G 7200rpm HD
or
- ATI 9800 256M ahd 40G 5400rpm HD
unfortunatly I can´t have both - the best card and HD. So witch setup would play smoothier resolume?

Vj De-X-teR_

Post by Vj De-X-teR_ »

Buy it with ati 9800 256m and without HD:)
Best HD is Hitachi travelstar 7k60(7200 rpm,8MBcache,60GB)

SuperficiaL_

Post by SuperficiaL_ »

Hi 1mpar,

i would go for the ATI 9700 128M and 60G 7200rpm HD, but read the config very carefully.
much things in a lappie are different from desktop pc's like speedstep for the processor, hd speed, video memory sharing with RAM and stuff like that.

De-x-ter's got a point.
i dont know under what type of circumstances u are buying the lappie, but a dell computer is kinda short on options.
since it only supplies a couple of brands of hardware.
it is cheaper than the rest but if it doesnt fit your need exactly its a lot of money for something u cant use to full extend...
and if u let someone else than dell build-in your other hd u are screwed guarantee wise...

Greetz,
SuperficiaL

1mpar_

Post by 1mpar_ »

Superficial,

Today I got a Compaq PIV 2.5G, 512, HD 40G 4.200 rpm, ATI 345 with 64M shared memory.

I´m choosing this Dell because it´s the one that best suits my needs. It´s a PIV 3G, 512RAM, and has this 2 options of video card: ATI9700 and 9800. Many laptops more expensive don´t have these cards.
My actual compaq can´t handle 3 layers in resolume without getting slower playback.
That´s why I´m trying to choose the best config. I need to know what would give me the best performance: a better video card or a HD with a higher speed. For me this config is very good and I won´t need to extend it (don´t even know what I could extend).
About the options of Dell, for me they are fine, since it has everything I need. What could be better?

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

a faster HD will probably improve the performance more then the diference between the 9700 and 9800!

Ruud
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Ruud »

Would a Hitachi travelstar 7k60 internal hd and any other ATA-6 7200rpm 8MB cache external on USB 2.0 make any difference?

atm i have 4200 internal in my compaq laptop, and while all my specs are great, this really fucks speed up a lot !!
'
btw usb2.0 faster than firewire?

SuperficiaL

depends...

Post by SuperficiaL »

hi Ruud,

usb 1.0 = +- 100 mbit
usb 2.0 = +- 480 mbit

normal firewire = +- 400 mbit
newer firewire (only on macs till now) = +- 800 mbit...

greetz SuperficiaL...

therandelman

Post by therandelman »

Originally posted by SuperficiaL
hi Ruud,

usb 1.0 = +- 100 mbit
usb 2.0 = +- 480 mbit

normal firewire = +- 400 mbit
newer firewire (only on macs till now) = +- 800 mbit...
why is firewire plus/minus 400? i thought, that using firewire means having always the full rate and only with USB, it is deending on how many devices you are using... am i wrong?

SuperficiaL

Post by SuperficiaL »

well firewire can be used with more devices in one thread to but im not sure about if it uses the full bandwith all the time...

i found this on the net

usb <---> firewire

usefull info.

greetz SuperficiaL...

[Edited on 12-10-2004 by SuperficiaL]

AlexEtJeremy

Post by AlexEtJeremy »

1. You will not see any performances differences between Firewire and USB2 with an external HDD during your Live performance.

2. Desktop Internal 8mb 7200r U133 HDD are cheapper, UBS2/Firewire box for IDE HDD are cheapper too.
Build it yourself. (you can upgrade your HDD later on... or the box)