Streaming online webcams into Resolume?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
zebratron64
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Streaming online webcams into Resolume?

Post by zebratron64 »

Hi . I'm working on a project right now and would like to get some tips or advice.

Basically I would like to be able to stream live online webcams from sites such as Earthcam, Insecam and others ideally directly into Resolume. Then map each camera to a different value/position triggered by a sensor like the Kinect.

I tried some virtual cameras, but those have a bit limited capabilities or require more monitors to not occupy everything on one screen. Syphon I did not fully understand. There used to be some YouTube plugin for Resolume some time ago I heard, but that doesn't work anymore. And classical screengrabbers don't really do much. Maybe a complicated way through VLC? The online cameras have either a http or ip address and are usually mjpeg.

Thanks.

jim
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Streaming online webcams into Resolume?

Post by jim »

I assume you are using mac if you are talking about sython? There are a lot of web cams that will show up in the sour8tab just by installing on system without any further need of plugins or other software. There are some other softwares you can use to make sure they show up as source but best not to over complicate things

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

If you're on a Mac, Syphoner is probably going to be the way to go for you if you're streaming online webcams and you will get close to zero latency.

You can open multiple concurrent Syphoner apps if you have multiple streams, pick the windows you want to use, find the syphon stream in Resolume and use it as a clip.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I personally use IPCAM2SYPHON. IT allows for 16 camera's to be set as input sources. Just need the IP address of each cam. You can also turn people's cellphones into IP camera's and use them live, Just need a private network with really good bandwidth

zebratron64

Post by zebratron64 »

Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes, I do use a Mac. Although I'm on PC more often. I'll look into the suggestions and get back to you. Enjoy the weekend!

DJKCRAY

Post by DJKCRAY »

zebratron64 wrote:Thanks for all the replies so far. Yes, I do use a Mac. Although I'm on PC more often. I'll look into the suggestions and get back to you. Enjoy the weekend!
for pc use spout

zebratron64

Post by zebratron64 »

I have returned to the project and thus would welcome any additional thoughts.
DJKCRAY wrote:...
Regarding Spout, DJKCRAY, I looked into that and it seems that would be ideal since there doesn't seem to be a limit to sources and IP cameras are a go. However, I am having trouble understanding even with the limited manual how exactly Spout works or how to get in Resolume the multiple sources. Got the demo running and that's it. Maybe I'm missing something. Spout 2 btw.
dinga wrote:...
Could you perhaps elaborate on IPCAM2SYPHON, dinga, as it too sounds ideal. That wouldn't work on Windows?

As for Kinect input, looking into solution through VVVV. Delicode just seems unrealiable.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Unfortunately IPCAM2SYPHON is a mac only app. It was by far the biggest tool in my pocket, so now I have my older MBP running it and outputting via spyhon then sending that to NDI back into my new computer. So I have a live input tech/switcher and then myself running all the content. Really wished they would make this available for Windows as well.

zebratron64

Post by zebratron64 »

I see. Seems that it worked for you well. Indeed, a Windows version would be nice. Will try emailing them.

Do you think, since Syphon/Spout are quite similar, that you could try helping me wrapping my head around Spout which for me should provide an almost same result?

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Syphon/Spout are pretty much identical, just different sames for different OS's. Problem is that developers have seemed to make a lot more options for Syphon since their apps are OSX. So there are more apps and options available. NDI has stepped in and is starting to make some progress but it's still early on. NDI is also a nice buffer from sending to and from different OS's (I think syphon and spout can talk to each other as well, but I personally haven't tried that setup yet.)

OBS was awesome in OSX but I can't seem to output via NDI or spout as of yet (there's a work around for NDI, I just haven't gotten around to try it). If that work around work's you could theoretically open 16 webpage sources in OBS each page being sent to an IP cam and then use OBS as your mixer sending it out via NDI into Resolume.

Syphoner was a HUGE tool in OSX, but the only thing that's been suggested that would be similar for Win would be NDI Scan converter, But it's pretty buggy for me. Some sources will load and other sources just loads as a black screen.

**EDIT** After doing a little digging, The problems I was having was due to the applications using 2 discreet GPU's. I disabled a few options in my applications and now the scan converter is working great.