64-bit

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Re: 64-bit

Post by francoe »

Oh, what a shame! commodore 64 was better than you guys.
btw, if you definitly go on 64bit, will still can I load my 32bit nintendo visuals?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Oh, what a shame! commodore 64 was better than you guys.
I'm sure this was intended as a joke but to make sure there is no confusion, the C64 used an 8-bit MOS Technology 6510 microprocessor so the 64 came from the size of RAM (64KB or 65,536 bytes)

Supernova
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Supernova »

Yuckfou157 wrote:
Supernova wrote:
bart wrote:Devil's advocate: Why?
As it stands there is a very uncomfortable limitation on the number of clips that can be in a deck. ?
Tell me more about this limitations, because I use (and Joris hates me for this) 8 layers with sometimes up to 280 columns of HD content, so thats 2240 clips and I have never experienced a problem with a low memory message, unless I was using PNG's larger then 1920x1080 which are a pain in the ass, oh and on top of the 8 content layers I sometimes use another, the 9th for my DJ cam input, so what limitations are you talking about??
If you do that many clips over let's say 5 outputs, on a very large pixel canvas, with warping and masks on the outputs then you will definitely run into low memory warnings. At that point, aside from the possibility of crashing, I have had videos unexpectedly stop being able to play at all until I switched show configs completely and switched back. My best guess is that the warp eats up the ram available to Resolume, and in my case, I would have a ton more available if Resolume was 64-bit and could access more of the available hardware.

Supernova

Post by Supernova »

Digitrevx wrote:
Supernova wrote:
bart wrote:Devil's advocate: Why?

Well, for starters, as I understand it, it would really open up some capability for the software. As it stands there is a very uncomfortable limitation on the number of clips that can be in a deck. Many users, myself included, are doing some rather large shows that are filling up this clip cap. In a long show there is no time to switch between decks while live. I know I am sitting with tons of available CPU right now that could be used, if not for the restriction brought on by 32-bit architecture.
Can anyone confirm if there is even a 64-bit version being developed?
I believe Joris mentioned a few times they are working on it for R6 and I'm super excited. No dates have been dropped yet but I hope this year.

Also I'm there with you on the huge decks problem. And yeah it takes forever to switch one huge deck to another. :/
I am glad somebody else feels my pain. It's good to know I am not alone at least. :D I am crossing my fingers on the possibility of 64-bit this year. Would be an amazing Christmas present.

yochee
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by yochee »

my big freestyle composition is somewhere 16-18mb and usually I get the RAM warning, 16gb RAM tho. IDK if it is the clips or the effect combinations, it's just unfortunate that I can't record the visuals internally for longer than 2 frames :lol:

VJsynC

Post by VJsynC »

Well...just announced by apple in this WWDC week, you have about one year to make Resolume 64 bits!! apple will no longer support 32 bits applications soon...
by January 2018 they will refuse to accept 32 bits apps in the MacOS app strore, only 64! and then, by june 2018 all 32 bits apps will be deleted from MacOS apps store!
And yes, i know that for now this is only for apps in the MacOS appstore world, but you guys know apple, transition period is something that apple doesn't like very much!!!
So... i would'n be surprised if apple by june 2018 stops supporting completely 32 bits software at all, in their High Sierra OS!

So, Mr. devil's advocate :lol: you should really start thinking seriously about a 64 bits Resolume!!!
they are coming for you... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

bart
Team Resolume

Post by bart »

Don't worry guys, it's coming.
"When?" I hear you ask?
"When it's done." will be what I'll say ;-)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

VJsynC wrote:Well...just announced by apple in this WWDC week, you have about one year to make Resolume 64 bits!! apple will no longer support 32 bits applications soon...
by January 2018 they will refuse to accept 32 bits apps in the MacOS app strore, only 64! and then, by june 2018 all 32 bits apps will be deleted from MacOS apps store!
And yes, i know that for now this is only for apps in the MacOS appstore world, but you guys know apple, transition period is something that apple doesn't like very much!!!
So... i would'n be surprised if apple by june 2018 stops supporting completely 32 bits software at all, in their High Sierra OS!

So, Mr. devil's advocate :lol: you should really start thinking seriously about a 64 bits Resolume!!!
they are coming for you... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I stopped using Apple when they stopped being a professional source of hardware....
Rant:
Iphone:
They took away a STANDARDIZED connector to push their new Bluetooth lines of Beats. Unprofessional! (as an audio engineer having the ability to send a tone signal, or my Steely Dan down the line to the PA is a must.) "you can just buy the adapter" Unprofessional! What happens when those break and get lost like Every piece of crap Apple cable seems to go for me in a month or less...

New MBP's your up next:
4 ports that ALL need adapters, in which one of said ports is lost due to it being the freaking charging port, so really, only 3 ports.... what a joke! and again with the damn adapters, same problem as with the Iphone. Here's the funny part... the MBP's still have a headphone port :lol: :lol:
only 512GB of storage, and a 4GB GPU, when fully loaded it comes to a little under $5k, I can get base model PC's with better specs for half the cost and they run Resolume AND Pro Tools so much better than OSX.

Mac Pro's it's your turn:
I love the R2D2 look, but having a $7k powerhouse without ANY upgrade options in regards to PCIe ports is a joke! The old Power Mac's where a beast and you could actually expand on them. Apple seems to be all about selling band-aids to fix problems they create, so you have to spend more money to get a basic problem solved they created... I'm over it!

New iMac Pro's:
not bad... not bad!

Apple is geared towards the wedding photographers and theater video editors, not towards the actual working class audio and video engineers these days.
Having them discontinue support for x86 programs does not surprise me one bit. Sounds right up their alley for dumb stuff they would pull. I don't see apple being around in the next 10 years if they don't change the direction their company is going.
They are working off a name that use to mean something and it's very sad to see how they are steadily declining.
I really hope they get their act together.

So point being... I could care less if apple discontinues support for x86 programs. Screw'em!
I know theres a LOT of OSX users on here. I use to be one myself. I'm sure the dev's are happy to cater to both markets, but as an end user, I really can't see why people are catering to OSX so much when they are blatantly making life so hard on dev's and industry professional users. Hat's off to the dev's for having to put up with all of Apples stupid stunts lol.

End rant!

Warspite

Post by Warspite »

VJsynC wrote: by January 2018 they will refuse to accept 32 bits apps in the MacOS app strore, only 64! and then, by june 2018 all 32 bits apps will be deleted from MacOS apps store!

S
MacOs app store?
Anybody uses it?
If new MacOs will not support Resolume, we will not update.
By the way, MacBook Pro 16 wTouchbar is a glitchy crap. I am still battling with it from february - too long for teetheing. It can lost video signal for a couple of seconds just because you connect usb device. Feels like on a minefield.

Dragonsoulj

Post by Dragonsoulj »

dinga wrote:New MBP's your up next:
4 ports that ALL need adapters, in which one of said ports is lost due to it being the freaking charging port, so really, only 3 ports.... what a joke! and again with the damn adapters, same problem as with the Iphone. Here's the funny part... the MBP's still have a headphone port :lol: :lol:
only 512GB of storage, and a 4GB GPU, when fully loaded it comes to a little under $5k, I can get base model PC's with better specs for half the cost and they run Resolume AND Pro Tools so much better than OSX.
You realize you can daisy chain devices on these ports, right?

As for 64 bit Resolume, constantly facing a Low Memory Error, and sometimes having it lock up, is no fun, and more RAM access would definitely resolve that issue.