Midi/OSC as clips

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Midi/OSC as clips

Post by Grimm90 »

A couple of days back i was working on a more theatre style installation where i was wishing for the "next/go" button to just trigger columns/scenes, thinking of the old days on my lightcommander table.

A possible help for all kind of these setups would be to have Midi or OSC commands as clips of their own.

One way would be to use the midi shortcut panel just as the files/effects/sources/comps and drag these shortcuts into the layers as clips.
Alternatively, a 'blank note clip' (for if you don't have a controller), where you can manually type a midi note, keystrokes or osc command.

I would put these clips in a group to control the rest of my composition. The clips would ideally have a duration to work with autopilot , where for example the midi note is trigged once at start of clip , holds duration with no new note sending and after set duration on that clip it can autopilot next/specific/...
Ideally some options would be cool , like to send the midi note only once at start of clip / send it every BPM beat / once at start once at end ...

You could make any kind of sequence in resolume , for example :
First midi clip triggers column 5 in group 1 = opening scene with a 30 sec intro clip,
After 30 sec duration, autopilot moves to the next midi clip = toggle strobe fx on for 5 sec, toggles off at end of clip, autopilot next.
Next midi clip triggers column 6 on the entire composition and so on ..

I guess its quite a big feature to ask , but think of the possibilities !

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Midi/OSC as clips

Post by Joris »

We've been feeling custom clips that send out MIDI or OSC for a while. Personally I like it a lot better than the way you have to change the OSC output of an existing parameter just to get custom data out of Resolume.

For the particular use case you're describing though, why would you need MIDI or OSC? If you want to have more control over Resolume from within Resolume, why add a protocol on top?

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

Joris wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:40 For the particular use case you're describing though, why would you need MIDI or OSC? If you want to have more control over Resolume from within Resolume, why add a protocol on top?
There are certain things one could want to do which isn't possible at the moment in Resolume (or i dont know how?) , and would need the help of an external sequencer like a touchdesigner patch.

For example i would like to autopilot columns. Assigning midi notes to every column trigger and sequencing this is a quick solution , order of sequence can easily be changed.

One midi clip could host also a set of commands all over your composition, so it triggers column 5 and toggles on an effect and kills clips in another set of layers in one go , the same way as you could not midi map all these functions now to one physical button.
But you wouldn't need a button, and you could save these "functions" to for other decks even.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I think I get what you want to do. The crux of my question is, do you really need MIDI or OSC?

If you could have clips where you enter commands like "Trigger Column 1", "Trigger Column 2", "Wait 30s", "Set Layer 5 Transition to 10s", "Eject Layer 5", using some form of an internal scripting language, do you really need to go out and come back via MIDI or OSC?

I mean, we already know which commands exist. We already expose them to you, you can already see them and click on them. In that case, why not eliminate the middle man altogether and let you script them directly?

Grimm90

Post by Grimm90 »

I didn't get that part previously but i completely agree now, that would feel like being able to open the hood and inject stuff right into the engine :o

Eledtech
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Eledtech »

I like the idea of internal commands a lot and hoping to get them soon.
But I always would like to have at least an effect that can send midi commands and osc commands.
For resolume5 there was an 3rd party plug in to send osc commands.
Why we could need osc or midi?
In our club we only can pay one operator for a normal disco show. Most of our operators are working 90% on resolume and 10% on light software. If we can send midi/osc triggers by clips it would be awesome to pre-built some better light+video environment.

Anyway joris, you said there is a way to send custom osc commands in res6? How we can override the internal address sets? That would at least help me in many situations.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Eledtech wrote: Tue Apr 09, 2019 21:29 Anyway joris, you said there is a way to send custom osc commands in res6? How we can override the internal address sets? That would at least help me in many situations.
Check out our support page here: https://resolume.com/support/en/osc#osc-output
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

xuazak
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by xuazak »

+1 for scripts !

As I already said in another post, I cheat a lot with external OSC/MIDI sequencers (often made with Max/MSP) to sequence or automate clips, transitions, parameters, based on live actions in Resolume... Being able to do this inside resolume would be so great !!!

I really think that a few simple functions bothered from ie Ableton Live, and from lighting desks (ie for fade in, fade out, both possible with a bit more than 10s, and even delay before trig...) would help a lot for theater shows !