NDI plus private network for TouchOSC - possible?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
DumbNoob
Is taking Resolume on a second date

NDI plus private network for TouchOSC - possible?

Post by DumbNoob »

Sparing many details.

• Macbook Pro, Res7
• Going to a venue which will be taking my video signal using NDI, ethernet connection.
• Normally, I connect one of the router's LAN ports to the MBP with ethernet cable. The router hosts a private wireless network. I use TouchOSC on iPad and iPhone to control Resolume.
• If I connect the MBP to the router with WiFi, the performance / responsiveness is not as good as when connecting the MBP with ethernet.
• I use manual TCP/IP settings on all devices to keep them talking to each other with stability.

The problem - I have to connect to venue with NDI. I don't think I can also connect my router to MBP with ethernet. I would like to do that, is it possible? Thank you!

gpvillamil
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: NDI plus private network for TouchOSC - possible?

Post by gpvillamil »

Get a USB3 to Ethernet adapter, so you are able to have two Ethernet connections.

By setting a static IP address on each Ethernet connection with a different subnet mask, you can bind the NDI traffic to one adapter, and your OSC traffic to the other.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I have no clue how mac's work these days, But in a windows environment I have 2-3 different IP addresses (and classes) bound to a single adapter. So I can have NDI, Artnet, Show Kontrol, and Novastar on the same adapter with 3-4 different IP addresses. A single Gigabit connection is more than enough for what I'm sending/receiving. Maybe mac's can do this too?????

Don't forget to set up your manual metric's when using multiple adapters otherwise NDI does whatever it wants and you may bet it coming through the wrong adapter.

I wish NDI would allow you to choose what adapter to use rather than having to change your NIC's metrics :(

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

Thanks gpvillamil!

Yes, I manually define IP and subnet mask (and router IP). Works quite well for responsiveness of Res with TouchOSC commands. The same can be said when using this over WiFi though I still prefer the direct ethernet connection.
I'm actually using a Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter. I have two TB ports and two of these adapters... will I be able to accomplish what you suggest? Apologies, I am not savvy with networking.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I'd look into NIC metric's of OSX, otherwise, using multiple adapters will lead to a lot of hair pulling in the future ;)

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Is your wifi router Gigabit ethernet?

If it is, you might be able to plug the RJ45 you get from the venue into your router's other LAN port, and set up IP addresses on your iPhone and macbook, so they match the address range of the venue.
This way you'd only need one Ethernet on the machine and NDI also won't get really confused.

Also double check that your router has DHCP service OFF!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

Brilliant ! Gig in a few hours, will give it a try. Thanks !

Yes, I never let DHCP assign IPs to devices on network ! 😀

DumbNoob

Post by DumbNoob »

Turned out to be a mess. Venue's router didn't have a LAN port so NDI transmission occurred over WiFi.

• There was lag. Sometimes acceptable, other times awful.
• I tried connecting my own router to MBP with ethernet and setting up a network to drive TouchOSC as usual. Responsiveness was not nearly as good as usual and I have to assume that has everything to do with being connected to the venue WiFi simultaneously. I should have disconnected from WiFi to verify that TouchOSC commands to Resolume were lag-free. (It usually works perfectly fine with this setup).
• So, I used the venue's network IP range *** to set static IPs for MBP and iPad. TouchOSC commands were lagging too. Sometimes I could get good responsiveness but it never remained consistent.
• There were show-stoppers where my output to the host machine would just crawl to a complete freeze.

*** At the very least, I learned that I could connect to an existing network and set up devices to match that network's IP range to use TouchOSC on their network.

Thanks all for the suggestions!