Trigger multiple actions with singe OSC command?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
Rjdel
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Trigger multiple actions with singe OSC command?

Post by Rjdel »

Arena 7:

So I know each function/button/fader, etc has a hard-coded OSC command to control it that can be discovered via "Edit OSC" and clicking on the item.

That said, is it possible to trigger multiple items with a single OSC command?

For example, if I want to play a clip in Layer 5, position 2, I would send the OSC message:
"/composition/layers/5/clips/2/connect"
But what if I wanted to trigger two clips in two different layers/positions at the same time?
(Or any two functions for that matter).

It seems I could use a tool like Chantaigne to map a bunch of OSC output commands to a given incoming OSC command, but is there any way to do something similar within Arena 7?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Trigger multiple actions with singe OSC command?

Post by Arvol »

For your above question, Move those clips into the same column and do a column trigger.

Rjdel

Post by Rjdel »

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, that will work for clips, in a very simple way, but what about for other non-clip items (or thing not able to be assigned to a column) triggering?

Is there no way to edit what command a given button/clip/column/etc is listening for? Are they 100% hard-coded? And no way to map otherwise?

Rjdel

Post by Rjdel »

Looks like I may be able to do this with Osculator.
https://osculator.net/

Of course still would be nice to do it within Arena.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

If you want 100 things triggered at once, that is the responsibility of the sender, not the receiver.
I use another app to make my custom OSC interfaces. It's actually a lot simpler that way. Less confusion. You will always know what to send out, no guessing if someone changed it or not.

Rjdel

Post by Rjdel »

I suppose "responsibility" is one way to look at features.
It is not unheard of for a receiver to be able to parse/map incoming messages. VDMX is one example.

Also, one can configure Arena to have any number of commands listen to a single midi message, so thinking it may be possible to do the same for an OSC message is not completely without precedent.

That said, what program do you happen to use for that?

Empyfree
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Empyfree »

I’m guessing Arvol will say Touch Designer? I’ve started using a combination of that and Companion. Companion being the initial trigger (simple messages). Touch designer listening to companion and then sending multiple messages as needed.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Empyfree wrote: Tue Feb 18, 2020 21:43 I’m guessing Arvol will say Touch Designer? I’ve started using a combination of that and Companion. Companion being the initial trigger (simple messages). Touch designer listening to companion and then sending multiple messages as needed.
Man you know me haha.
I've built a few apps that translate between midi/osc/dmx and can also go osc/osc with the option to rename the output channels. It's very basic to build.
I'm in the process of re-vamping ALL my apps to the same UI structure then I'll be doing a massive public release.

Programfeed
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Programfeed »

Arvol wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 02:11 I'm in the process of re-vamping ALL my apps to the same UI structure then I'll be doing a massive public release.
8-)