Start a clip together with live cam opacity animation

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
jb0815
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Start a clip together with live cam opacity animation

Post by jb0815 »

Hi,
I would like to manually trigger a composition constisting of
1. a live cam input
2. a video clip
so that an animated opacity of the cam input (using the timeline/bpm based envelope function) starts at the same time as the clip (to fade in the clip)

My problem is that I can't get the starting points of the fade animation in sync with the clip start.
I tried bpm and timeline based setups, but nothing worked:

Any suggestions would be great ! :-)

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Start a clip together with live cam opacity animation

Post by He2neg »

Did you start it via collom trigger?

you may need a dummy clip with X-ms infront of one of them and autopilot to the clip you need.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

well I start it with what ever is needed. As a first approach I tried to start via column trigger.
What exactly do you mean with
- "X-ms infront of one of them " ? A column before ?
- how many ms ?
- which autopilot function ? I don't want to trigger any other columns if possible. I just wanna continue with the cam stream (continuously) , the clip as a "one shot" effect, nothing else

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

I dont get what you want to reach?

Maybe you can try to explain it with more detail

what is running before / what should happen when you click / how many contents at the same time..

i though you have nothing running and with 1 click you want to start two things (colom is the easy way)
if one should be delayed then the easy way is to insert a clip befor this with the length of the delay and set the autopilot to activate the next clip automaticly.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~Berlin~

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

Allright, I try to explain the background,

I'm using Resolume with NDI output as input for skype using NDI virtual input driver , this is working properly.

In Resolume I'm using a green screen effect to mix a background image with a cam input ,where the background input appears in the green areas of the cam input , so far no problem.

Additionally on start time of my skype conversation , I want to have the cam input fading in while a video clip of a few seconds is beeing mixed with the scene . After that, the clip should stop but the cam input should continue. From now I want to continue just using Resolumes output as before (cam+background with green screen) for my skype conversation.

The problem: synchronizing the fade in of the cam with the start of the clip

Got it ?
Last edited by jb0815 on Thu Apr 30, 2020 09:11, edited 4 times in total.

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

yep getting clear now...

Shoudn´t be a problem with 2 layers and the clips in the same collom..

You can animate the opacity of each file and with the envelope it can do all fanzy stuff you need to.

with click the collom you start both clips. inside the two clips you can animate the opacity (timeline & envelope and plamode "play once")

now you can set all as you like..fade in / hold / fade out all like you need it.

(if you have a transition mode (effect) that looks like your "beam in" clip that you can spare the beam effect layer but that can work or not... with the top solution you are safe)

For the BG you take another layer on top of everything and chose the layer to ignore colom trigger so its not effected by the start of the other stuff ;)
~Berlin~

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

By the way I have only one clip, the other input is the live cam !

I did what you explained (using an opacity animation for the cam input with an envelope) , but unfortunately the clip doesn't start on col click, I have to manually start it and thus it's out of sync with the op animation . Maybe there's a little thing/setting, whatever I'm missing ...
Generelly I don't understand what's controlling the "timeline" of an cam live input ? Because this timeline is what the op animation is based on. (or do I have to use BPM here, what would be bad because I have no music giving a bpm)

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

But still a cam Input is on a clipslot and so I call it "clip" ...

the clip dont start when you hit the collom?
https://resolume.com/support/en/clips

or do it start later? then you may have the transport mode on bpm and beatsnap on?
[Beatsnap delay the start to be on the first beat]

Start with a fresh comp pls... you can dig a lot around to find the reason why the clip ignore the collom trigger... starting with a fresh comp is faster. (collom trigger ignores can be on clip & layer lvl)
~Berlin~

jb0815

Post by jb0815 »

Ok , "ignore column trigger" was not enabled anywhere. My mistake was kinda beginner mistake :
I did'nt realize that when a clip is manually stopped in the clip setting it will never be triggert from anything (I guess) . Since I allways set the clip to it's start frame, in stopped mode, while fighting to synchronize, it never has been startet on col trigger.
Furthermore the cam "timeline" which runs the opacity animation IS triggered by column trigger.
Thus it works now !!

Many thanks for your help , however !

He2neg

Post by He2neg »

mhm...

you dont need to reset the clip on the first frame when you set the playmode to start new when triggered... i guess you had continues playmode activaed somehow...

but as i work now you should be fine, and again a bit deeper inside arena ;)
~Berlin~