3Dconnexion SpaceMouse

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
DHoude
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

3Dconnexion SpaceMouse

Post by DHoude »

I have this 6 Axis 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse and I love it for my 3D drawing. I can get it working with Resolume in a very convoluted way:

3DX Mouse to Joystick app - "Control My Joystick" current app
Joystick to Midi app - "Fergo JoystickMIDI" from Aug 2010
Midi loopback driver

But all the Joystick to Midi apps are 10 ish years old. The only solution I have working still has an issue with one axis. I can see the command leave one app and does not make it into the 10 year old Joystick to midi app.

My current solution works pretty good in Resolume for the rubber cement and duct tape I had to use to stitch it all together. But with Midi, my Transform effect movements always returns to center. I might want that sometimes. But in Fusion 360 I can move something with this SpaceMouse and have it stay, not snap back to center once I let go of the joystick. Kind of like in Resolume if I use FFT input on a timeline parameter and set to <\> to return to a position (midi is working this way) or +/- to add to the position (the SpaceMouse in Fusion 360 works like this).

3Dconnexion seems super open to other apps adding support for their mouse. They even said they would like to direct Midi support to the driver, but I am not a programmer and I know you would also need an app to set all the Midi parameters. I think it might be easier to just add direct support somehow. It would be amazing to grab control of your screen in a way that 2 dimensional Touch OSC does not allow.

Some links if you are interested:
https://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse.html
https://www.3dconnexion.com/service/sof ... loper.html

A thread from last year where one of the mods talks about the "3DxWinCore driver" and wanting to add native Midi support.
https://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewt ... 25&p=74700

More than willing to help anyway that I can.

DHoude

Re: 3Dconnexion SpaceMouse

Post by DHoude »

Ok, so I think the Transform effect timelines don't offer a +/- input. Only the return to center type.

I still think this could be epic. I will try to post a video of it all working soon. But would love to work out the kinks before doing so.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

One other thing I am learning is that I can load all the Midi inputs I want, but I can only seem to have 1 Midi device map running. So if I want this mouse, I have to lose my APC40... It's sounding more like Midi is not the best answer for this mouse.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Can you run this into something like Bomes and then connect Bomes to Resolume?

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

That is actually where I am going next. I installed it about 1 hour ago. I basically have 4 "midi" controllers (APC40, StreamDeck, Touch OSC & SpaceMouse) now. I added the last 3 devices all in the last couple of weeks and I had no idea I can only have 1 active Midi map at a time in Resolume! I am hoping I can combine them in Bome and send as one big map. It looks like that is possible.

Just crazy that I need 4 midi programs to make it all possible! lol

I just fixed the last Axis, it was a Joystick map issue to the Windows Joystick driver. Easy to troubleshoot now that I know how. Super happy so far, just wish I had an option to leave the object where it is placed, in addition to the "return to center" I have now.
Last edited by DHoude on Fri Jul 24, 2020 14:10, edited 1 time in total.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

DHoude wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 02:42 Super happy so far, just wish I had an option to leave the object where it is placed, in addition to the "return to center" I have now.
You could try to set the shortcut in Resolume to fake relative, maybe that works.
If you're already using Bomes, you might also be able to convert the midi to relative, and then use Relative shortcuts.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Thanks, the last time I played with relative & fake relative, I got no response on the Resolume faders. But Bomes was not involved at that point.

I am still pretty new to advanced midi stuff. I will have a look at the manual again as it would help to understand what all these Settings mean. Then I can post a tutorial of how it takes 4 other apps (two paid, and one is 10 years old) to get this to work with Resolme 😉 I guess it's a labor of love, right? 😄

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Zoltán wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:05
DHoude wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 02:42 Super happy so far, just wish I had an option to leave the object where it is placed, in addition to the "return to center" I have now.
You could try to set the shortcut in Resolume to fake relative, maybe that works.
If you're already using Bomes, you might also be able to convert the midi to relative, and then use Relative shortcuts.
Looks like you were right. Relative is the answer. Not going to rehash why it didn't work the first time. Is there a way to assign a Midi shortcut to reload an Effect Preset? That would allow me to use Relative but quickly center all the controls with the push of a button.

It could be smoother, but it is pretty slick. Just need to tune and get used to it, then it is demo time!

Thanks guys! It would still be nice to have native support. Bomes is $70! Not sure that I am ready to swallow that yet.

DHoude

Post by DHoude »

Holy lesson plan Batman!! So no need for Bome's Midi Translator. Cool program, but I am glad to save the money to be honest. I just don't need to spend that right now.

The deal is that you can add multiple Midi devices to one Resolume Midi map. I was making independent maps for each device, my fault. Good for learning & testing, but long term, not ideal.

Put all your Midi devices in one Resolume "Master" map. Guess that means I have to make a cool video to show you guys the coolness of this creation. Start saving guys. You are going to want one.

I do still need the 10 year old (unsupported) "Fergo JoystickMidi" app & The $20 currently supported "Control My Joystick" app. As well as some Midi loopback driver. Take your pick, I used the free LoopMidi by Tobias Ericson.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

DHoude wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 22:37 That would allow me to use Relative but quickly center all the controls with the push of a button.
You can create shortcuts to set a parameter to a specific Value. To do this, set the shortcut mode to Value ;)
https://resolume.com/support/en/midi-shortcuts#value

You can also have multiple shortcuts mapped to the same note, so you only need to push a single button to set multiple sliders.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu