Resolume 7 and CPU/GPU preference issues?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Menno
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume 7 and CPU/GPU preference issues?

Post by Menno »

@mwebb9413 I did not call you unfair. What i ment was that it's not the right direction to say you need more pci-e lanes or a different cpu. Actually i think your test is very good!
You have made pretty similar setups in Resolume and Millumin, and shown that resolume drops below 30 fps while Millumin stays above 60. So imo this is something we need to figure out what is happening in resolume.

If i look at your latest results it looks like the problem lies in having more than one decklink output.
1 2160p is the same amout of data as 4 1080p's and yet the 4 outputs run at 30fps while 1 output is capped at 60. When i am back at the office i'll see if i can figure out what's going on here, but there wont be an overnight fix for this from us unfortunately.
Maybe in the meantime you could try 1 capture + 1 ndi or just output 1 big spout/syphon image and output it using a different program?

mwebb9413
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by mwebb9413 »

Menno wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:52 @mwebb9413 I did not call you unfair. What i ment was that it's not the right direction to say you need more pci-e lanes or a different cpu. Actually i think your test is very good!
@Menno Absolutely just wanted to make clear that I do not hold anything against you guys or want to come off rude or insensitive to how much work has gone into you great product! Just my industry puts me in this weird crossover position between the SDI world and the media server world.
Menno wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:52 Maybe in the meantime you could try 1 capture + 1 ndi or just output 1 big spout/syphon image and output it using a different program?
Absolutely can do. I am curious as well if I have 1 in and 1 out what happens? Our company has never allowed me to run live inputs through software, just a scary thought for them. All camera inputs go through hardware switchers into hardware routers for deployment. And everything gets tied in real tight. So I will need to create a lab at the shop to test all these flexible IO things. But I will definitely get this tested and update you on those results.

Is there anyway I can stay looped in on your findings in a more efficient method?

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

dirtyjohn_lv wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 17:36 In your original post you mention an i5-6500, which has an integrated intel 520 gpu. What motherboard are you using? There is a possibility things are defaulting to run on intel 520 if you’re running a motherboard that supports on board video.
The client who runs that machine has made sure that isn't the case according to him. But thanks for the insight! Seriously, I am not the most computer hardware literate, so it's good for me to where and how to check these things in more depth!

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

Menno wrote: Wed Aug 05, 2020 12:52 @mwebb9413 I did not call you unfair. What i ment was that it's not the right direction to say you need more pci-e lanes or a different cpu. Actually i think your test is very good!
You have made pretty similar setups in Resolume and Millumin, and shown that resolume drops below 30 fps while Millumin stays above 60. So imo this is something we need to figure out what is happening in resolume.

If i look at your latest results it looks like the problem lies in having more than one decklink output.
1 2160p is the same amout of data as 4 1080p's and yet the 4 outputs run at 30fps while 1 output is capped at 60. When i am back at the office i'll see if i can figure out what's going on here, but there wont be an overnight fix for this from us unfortunately.
Maybe in the meantime you could try 1 capture + 1 ndi or just output 1 big spout/syphon image and output it using a different program?
Yes and no on PCI E issue.

Original post is about an under powered custom (?) PC, then somehow we switched to testing on a different spec iMac with software that you can’t install on PC. Also not including Artnet universes in the iMac test.

The 5700 XT has 8 channels of memory with and effective speed per channel of 14Gbps.
The composition for the original question is about 18.5Gbps, plus 4 1080i outputs adds another 6Gbps. This doesn’t include the calculation for 20 artnet universe.
If the machine has something like an M2 card running on PCIE instead of SATA then you get less processing power because some of the 16 lanes allocated by CPU are now used for storage

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

Hello Menno, sent you a PM and just wanted to see if there any updates/if I could establish a direct line of communication to follow the development of this.

kman1898

Post by kman1898 »

Any updates for this?

MarkG
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by MarkG »

is there any update on this? I'm currently running an Mac mini M1 8 core 16gb with a Blackmagic 8k pro card as 4x 1920/1080 50i outputs and having the same issue as described above.

_skyraider_
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by _skyraider_ »

We are having a similar issue as well.
i9-9900k, RTX 2070.
Trying to use Resolume to scale NDI output from ProPresenter to our unusual aspect ratio screens.
We need to have 3 4k60 outputs and are willing to build whatever spec PC we need to to make it happen
Running straight out of ProPresenter 7 through the DeckLink 8k Pro is buttery smooth, Running through Resolume is choppy. Sometimes maxes out CPU usage, but even when it isn't maxed out it's still stuttering.