Better performance with SSD and more RAM?

Bro, does your rig even lift?
Saave200
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Better performance with SSD and more RAM?

Post by Saave200 »

So i have a Laptop with win 10, I5, 4gb ram and HDD. The other details dont really matter, dont expect too much from a laptop.
Ive been triggering clips playing gifs and noticed they have a delay. Sometimes they run smoothly, but other times it lags a lot. Also, when going to the next deck, all my clips have to load and it takes like 10 seconds

Will more RAM and replacing the HDD with an SSD make resolume faster? Should i install windows, resolume and all my clips on the SSD and that will help solve the problem? thanks

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Better performance with SSD and more RAM?

Post by He2neg »

short anwser: yes it will improve the performance.
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Saave200

Post by Saave200 »

You may not believe it but That's all I wanted to read. Thank you

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

The biggest component you left out was your graphics card.

What is your GPU?

For gif playback, having a better CPU will help. OR.... Convert your gifs into DXV3 and then your CPU won't be a big factor anymore and you have now shifted the processing over to your GPU.

SSD is the second best upgrade I can recommend with your GPU being first. going from an old spindle HDD to a SSD will be a night and day performance increase. (NVMe are really nice too).

More memory will help with your deck changes and some of your FX you may apply to the clips/layer/group/comp.

Overall if you have an I5 laptop but your GPU is a nVidia or AMD GPU with 2-4GB of GPU memory, converting everything to the DXV3 codec will make a massive improvement. That shifts the workload off the CPU and on to the GPU.

Saave200

Post by Saave200 »

So, converting every gif to DVX 3 will improve the performance? Along with the SSd and more ram?

I play lots of 1 second gifs and it lags when switch to the next clip. It's 1080p (the resolution my pc has) but there's no much difference when going 480p for example. I thought the solution was ssd. But there's not much info about SSD, ram nor Gif to dxvr

The processor is a 5002u and have no intentions in changing it for a long while because of money.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Converting will help. What is the gpu on your machine?

Saave200

Post by Saave200 »

Thanks for being Interested!

It's a Positivo BGH e900 with core i5 5002u. It has 4gb ram but with an extra slot, I'm gonna expand it to 12gb and replace the HDD with an SSD.

Most times it lags a lot when triggering next clip but sometimes it goes smoothly so I think a drastic measure will not be needed. It's not that It needs to be rendered exhaustively, they're 720p gifs made in Piskel.

But when switching decks, it loads in 30 seconds. I have 50 clips per deck

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

It looks like that laptop uses an Intel HD gpu. That's going to 100% be your biggest bottleneck. Unfortunately your only options there are get a laptop with a dedicated gpu (I prefer Nvidia and their 6gb gtx1060 used laptops are pretty cheap atm). Or get an external egpu but you need a thunderbolt port for that and tbh I wouldn't recommend that setup ever unless you like pulling your hair out.

The ssd will help for sure. Converting your files to dxv3 will help as well. But in the end. You'll need a better gpu for that silky smooth performance. I say use what you have for now and when your clients pay you enough for upgrades. Get a new/used laptop with a better gpu at that time.

There is a benchmark spreadsheet you can Google for resolume that will give you benchmarks of what to expect performance wise with other laptops with the same gpu you have. I would assume 2-4 layers with minimal fx or 1-2 layers of 4k. The spreadsheet will have better info on that.

Saave200

Post by Saave200 »

The minimum salary in my country is $100 dollars. A new laptop will cost me 10 months of work if I save everything, so I have to use what I have at my disposal. As soon as I get money, I will buy a decent laptop but for now, I'll do that, if you say it'll definitely help
What surprises me is that there's no much info concerning ssd / ram / gpu performance when using resolune on the internet
Thank you

Saave200

Post by Saave200 »