The Ultimate Resolume/Ableton AV Setup, Including How-To

Stay up to date with important updates, artist showcases and more
Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

The Ultimate Resolume/Ableton AV Setup, Including How-To

Post by Joris »

Everyone loves presents, and BirdMask by ASZYK/Neal Coghlan is a gift that keeps on giving. First watch the video below. Do it now.

From Neal's description:
It's taken a while but finally, here is the first upload of BIRDMASK Visuals. I first started work on these way back at the end of 2010. Like my Tasty Visuals, they started out with some miscellaneous illustration. The elements came together quite nicely and I started to form compositions out of them which became geometric, tribal bird faces. Like with most of my illustrations, I couldn't resist bringing it alive by animating it.

In their earliest form there was a lot less clips and they weren't in HD. A lot of elements didn't fit together well either so mixing between faces wasn't as smooth. In it's current form, the set is made up of 6 different faces, each one with 8 layers and 4 different clips per layer - making a total of 192 clips. These are all loaded into Resolume and triggered using Ableton and an iPad.This video was made by recording a Resolume composition - all the clips being triggered live. This piece wasn't composited using FCP or Premiere! (or After Effects for that matter), it was all done live.

BIRDMASK visuals made their debut in Geneva at Mapping Festival in May 2011 (mappingfestival.ch/2011/types/?artist=1285&lang=en) and since then have been played in clubs across London. The biggest showing was during Channel 4's House Party (channel4.com/programmes/house-party/articles/aszyk) where we performed alongside RnB legends 'Soul II Soul', who played an amazing set, mixing Reggae, House, RnB and Garage.

The set is still evolving and work has begun on a 3D version. I'm hoping to port them into UNITY 3D where I can make them even more reactive...

The track is called 'Elephant & Castle' by ASZYK - soundcloud.com/aszyk/elephant-castle-v1
After enjoying the lovely abstract animation, tight beat sync, lush colours and subtle perspective work, you find there's more. Not one to keep his secrets hidden, Neal shares a how to video of how this set of AV magic is put together. Revealing tricks of the trade, there is magic in this breakdown baby.

Check out more of Neal's work, and then head back to your own studio, and hang your head in shame for not being as good as this guy. I want to have his babies.

Basic
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: The Ultimate Resolume/Ableton AV Setup, Including How-To

Post by Basic »

Really cool, always good to see video's like this! :D Good work!
Resolume Avenue 3.3.3 - MBP i7, 8gb RAM - Snow Leopard (2010). Akai APC20