Lighting Desk to Resolume (DMX-Artnet) Setting Up

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Uriahdemon
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Lighting Desk to Resolume (DMX-Artnet) Setting Up

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi,

I have been trying to get my desk (Zero88 FLX) and PC to send to Resolume Arena to trigger video clips. To date unfortunately I have been unable to achieve that. So really would appreciate some help please.

I have read the relevant items in the manual and also the DMX Shortcuts piece on the Resolume website. In addition I have watched You Tube videos for attaching and controlling lighting software to Resolume.

Just to be clear when I say desk I mean the physical desk connected to a PC via ethernet and router for DHCP and my laptop (Windows 10) running Resolume Arena. When I say PC I have the FLX software on my laptop for programming at home and am also trying to connect that to Resolume via loopback (localhost).

I have output artnet from both my PC and the desk previously to control fixtures. I have also been talking to the Zero88 team to ensure I have both the desk and PC configured right for Resolume. I think my issue may be setting up Resolume hence this post for some help please.

I have set up three channels to trigger 3 clips as a test at this stage. Channels are 1 to 3 on DMX 1 to 3 and all on DMX Universe 1.

DESK - Please see (FLX Desk View) image. This to me indicates the desk is seeing Resolume on my PC but it did not trigger the clips when I activated each channel to 255. The DMX preference for network adapter was set to ethernet.

PC - I have set Resolume as per the attachments (PC -DMX Preferences, PC - DMX Shortcuts).

Any help on this would be really appreciated.
Attachments
PC - DMX Shortcuts.jpg
PC - DMX Preferences.jpg
FLX Desk View.jpg

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Lighting Desk to Resolume (DMX-Artnet) Setting Up

Post by Zoltán »

This should be set to your ethernet interface: https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx-sho ... rk-adapter
Attachments
Képernyőfotó 2022-01-24 - 14.18.45.png
Képernyőfotó 2022-01-24 - 14.18.45.png (64.81 KiB) Viewed 5391 times
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Uriahdemon

Post by Uriahdemon »

Thanks Zoltan,

Do you mean for when using the lighting software and Resolume on the same PC....??

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

You wanted to send from your lighting desk to Resolume, right?
Is your Zero88 FLX lighting desk running on the same machine as Resolume?

Running two Artnet programs on the same machine might not work at all because of port bindings.
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

Uriahdemon

Post by Uriahdemon »

Hi Zoltan,

I am trying to run and set up Resolume on both my lighting desk and from the PC. So trying to set up both as I will use the lighting desk for the live shows but the PC with the lighting software and Resolume on it for programming. So never together and I understand when using the physical desk to choose the ethernet network adapter and when using the PC to use localhost.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

So, if one of the programs uses the artnet port exclusively, the other one might not be able to use it.
Resolume tries to bind the port in non exclusive mode.

There is that small play button in the top right corner in the Resolume preferences. Click that, and it will open up the DMX inspector.
There you'll be able to see the channel activity. If your DMX software sees the Resolume node, it could be a simple universe numbering issue.
Resolume starts numbering from 0, some desks number from 1.

Uriahdemon

Post by Uriahdemon »

Thanks Zoltan,

I have achieved triggering the clips in Resolume from my physical desk this morning so all good there.

I will try again from my PC later today.

Uriahdemon

Post by Uriahdemon »

OK, got back home and tried Resolume and the lighting software on the same PC and they are still not talking to each other. It is a Win10 PC.

I changed the Resolume network adapter to 'Localhost' for this.

Is there anything else I need to change please. As I am now confident I have set up my DMX shortcuts correctly as I have triggered them from my desk.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

It's probably the port conflict then. You could try to run the DMX app on another machine on your home network.