LOW MEMORY!!

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
clanoue
Is taking Resolume on a second date

LOW MEMORY!!

Post by clanoue »

I just bought a 2nd resolume license for a new computer I just built. But I'm having major issues!!

I'm getting a LOW MEMORY Warning, I never get this warning on my MacBook Pro. This computer is a beast, what is happening? How do i fix this?

I have tried version 4.1.11 and 4.1.8 (because its the latest stable version on my Mac).

Computer spec are as follows
Windows 7 64 bit
Intel Core i7 I7-4790 Haswell 3.6GHZ Processor LGA1150 8MB
Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 5 ATX LGA1150 Z97 DDR3 PCI-E16 PCI-E8 XFIRE/SLI SATA3 USB3 HDMI Motherboard
2x EVGA GeForce GTX 660 FTW Acx Cooler 2GB 192BIT DUAL-LINK DVI-I DVI-D HDMI DP SLI Ready Graphics Card
Corsair Vengeance Black CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 16GB 2X8GB DDR3-1600 CL10 1.5V Dual Channel Memory Kit
I have an M.2 SSD on order, currently there is a seagate 500gb Sata2 Harddrive running everything
And most (and coolest of all) Black magic intensity Pro PCI card. I was worried it wasnt going to work, but 1st try BAM had it taking an HD input in 5 min from my MAC.

I'm running 7 monitors on this computer. 1 for Resolume, 1 touch screen for martin Light Jockey, and 5 outputs. 3 are projectors across the front of the my stage, The other 2 are for zone outputs or extras. I may add a 3rd zone for the clubs back room.

Anyway. I'm sure there are some VERY smart people on the forum, and I would appreciate any help I can get solving this problem.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: LOW MEMORY!!

Post by Oaktown »

Are all your movie files coded in DXV? The only time I got the low memory warning was when I was using some ProRes 4444 files! They were very short (only 2 seconds) but ran in rapid succession and made the system bog down. I encoded all the movies into DXV codec and Resolume ran like a champ. Don't forget Resolume is a 32-bit software.

clanoue

Post by clanoue »

Oaktown wrote:Are all your movie files coded in DXV? The only time I got the low memory warning was when I was using some ProRes 4444 files! They were very short (only 2 seconds) but ran in rapid succession and made the system bog down. I encoded all the movies into DXV codec and Resolume ran like a champ. Don't forget Resolume is a 32-bit software.
Oh no.... Thats a good point. I literally barely go this system up and running 10 min before the club opened. I didnt move any of my new videos in DXV over too it. I'm just play the old video I used to use in grand VJ right now.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

You can use your PJpeg movs as well, just make sure you keep your deck size small. Around 40 1080p clips is a good safe margin. After that, just make a new deck.

clanoue

Post by clanoue »

Joris wrote:You can use your PJpeg movs as well, just make sure you keep your deck size small. Around 40 1080p clips is a good safe margin. After that, just make a new deck.
Very good to know. Is it fine if all the clips are in the same layer.

What i want todo is kinda automate the system. But a few clips in 1 layer, then in 2 or 3 other layers i'm going to have ad's made, something like 30 min long clips that are transparent(and loop them), and every 5-10 min a 30sec - 1 min ad plays promoting shows and upcoming events.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Where the clips are in the deck makes no difference.

Instead of using a transparent movie, just use a solid color source with its opacity down. That way you can swap out the ads without having to re-render.

( Source duration is measured in milliseconds: 10 minutes = 600 seconds = 600000 milliseconds. )
Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 10.50.16.png
Screen Shot 2014-08-15 at 10.50.16.png (24.37 KiB) Viewed 13773 times

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

What i want todo is kinda automate the system. But a few clips in 1 layer, then in 2 or 3 other layers i'm going to have ad's made, something like 30 min long clips that are transparent(and loop them), and every 5-10 min a 30sec - 1 min ad plays promoting shows and upcoming events.
Clanoue, I realize Joris got it but I'm not sure I understand the 30 min long transparent clips! Can you be a little more descriptive?

clanoue

Post by clanoue »

Oaktown wrote:
Clanoue, I realize Joris got it but I'm not sure I understand the 30 min long transparent clips! Can you be a little more descriptive?
Yes I would love too.... But an update 1st.

I have started using content that is dxv encoded and the computer instantly stopped having problems. I do plan to also format the computer again, and Reinstall a 32 bit version of windows. I was unaware that resolume was 32bit. Resolume seems to be functioning fine as is, but Martin Light Jockey is not.

My one last resolume problem is the Black Magic Intensity Pro card I have purchased. When I plug my Macbook Pro directly into the card, everything functions perfect. Lag (delay) is minimal, and quality is great... too bad the DJ booth is a 120 foot cable run from the visuals booth, I purchased HDMI balun and they seem to work fine as outputs (I have 3 running to 3 projectors), But when I have them plugged into the input no luck. When I change the resolution on my MacBook to match what the input is looking for, the image shows up for 1-2 seconds then I get a green screen flash and then nothing. I have to change to another (unsupported resolution) then back to the one I want to use (720P at 60 hz) and I get the same 1-2 seconds then green the nothing. I'm going to call blackmagic tomorrow and see if they can let me know what the problem is.

Ok back to question of the 30 min clip. So I want a system that requires little input during the night. I want Ads to play through the night overtop of whatever other signal I may be sending to the computer Or overtop of some layer of visual content I have chosen. So I want to pay a graphic designer to make me a video loop 30 - 45 min in length that I will place in my top layer in resolume. This loop will be transparent (100%, nothing) for most of the clip. every 10 or so minutes I want an ad to play, Some of the ads will only be lower 3rds, other will be full screen. Ads will play for 10-30 seconds. then go back to transparent. This way I will only need to start the ad clip at the beginning of the night, it will loop throughout the night. Most nights I will have my video input from my mac on a lower layer. others I will be VJing on lower layers.

If I could find some sort of program that sent out MIDI data based on the time of day and day of the week that would be even better. For example liquor can only be served until 2AM here, Last call is at 1:45, I would like for a program to send out a MIDI note to trigger a clip to play at 1:45am each night. The clip would be a last call warning for the screens. at 2AM a thank you and come again sort of clip would be played. And if I had a midi app like that I would use it to trigger clips for ads, But I have yet to find any sort of MIDI program to do that sort of thing. so I'm stuck on my 30 min long loop that is mostly transparent.

Any thoughts on a better way to do this would be appreciated.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I think What Joris suggested is the way to go.
I would do it this way:

say, you want to place the adverts in layer 5,
1.right click on layer 5 , select ignore column trigger, so you can launch columns without affecting your layer 5.
2. turn on auto pilot for layer 5, and make sure the clips in layer 5 have the default auto pilos setting:layer determined.
3. place a 10x10 pixel solid color on layer 5, set the position so, it is outside the composition eg you don't see it.
(i would not use clip opacity as it has a bug when transitiontimes are not 0)
4. set the solid color's duration as desired , for 30 minutes it would be 30*60*1000
5. place the advertisement right from the solid color.
6. check advertisement transport that it is set to the arrow pointing to the right.
7. repeat 3-6 dor as many ads you have.

so, you see, you don't have to pay a graphic designer for 30 min transparent clip.

I am uploading now an updated version of my OSC controller program, it has a new feature: you can set a time in format of hh:mm:ss and the program launches the desired column at the given time of day.

check out this link: http://controller.palffyzoltan.hu
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

clanoue

Post by clanoue »

ravensc wrote:I think What Joris suggested is the way to go.
I would do it this way:

say, you want to place the adverts in layer 5,
1.right click on layer 5 , select ignore column trigger, so you can launch columns without affecting your layer 5.
2. turn on auto pilot for layer 5, and make sure the clips in layer 5 have the default auto pilos setting:layer determined.
3. place a 10x10 pixel solid color on layer 5, set the position so, it is outside the composition eg you don't see it.
(i would not use clip opacity as it has a bug when transitiontimes are not 0)
4. set the solid color's duration as desired , for 30 minutes it would be 30*60*1000
5. place the advertisement right from the solid color.
6. check advertisement transport that it is set to the arrow pointing to the right.
7. repeat 3-6 dor as many ads you have.

so, you see, you don't have to pay a graphic designer for 30 min transparent clip.

I am uploading now an updated version of my OSC controller program, it has a new feature: you can set a time in format of hh:mm:ss and the program launches the desired column at the given time of day.

check out this link: http://controller.palffyzoltan.hu

WOW. I learn something new every day. I am not 100% sure I caught 100% of what you said, but I'm 95% there and I can figure the rest out. Thank you so much I think you right I wont need a graphic design anymore. At least not one for every week. Just when I want video ads.

Also thank you for the time based app. I am going to try it out this week :)

THank again for the help.