black output with Resolume Arena

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: black output with Resolume Arena

Post by Arvol »

Got the new Razer Blades. They're running like champs but the optimus switching sucks.
Here's my system info provided by HWiFO:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/nrl90opwau0ch ... r.HTM?dl=0

There currently isn't a way to disable this in the BIOS, but the work around i've found is to open the nVidia control panel, change the scaling to (whatever), then put the scaling back to "no scaling". Quick fix, but i'm worried about sending these out with clients who aren't computer savy, I have a feeling that i'll be teamviewing into the machines once a day to fix this for them, and i rather spend my time drinking beer and watching cat videos on youtube.....

I saw that this issue was addressed with MSI in the RS2 release of Windows, scheduled for March 2017. Do you think this will be the fix for everyone, or just MSI based PC's?

Also on a side note, for some strange reason, I'm limited to only 1 output via Thunderbolt 3 on these machines, Which I've yet to need more than 2 outputs (fingers crossed), So the built in HDMI, and Thunderbolt 3 adapter is working good for me, but my adapter supports 2 HDMI's, but Razer is currently only allowing 1 video output per Thunderbolt 3 port, Might be a firmware update to fix this in the future. Didn't know if anyone else has ran across something similar? Or if they have found a solution for another adapter, all while still using the nVidia GPU?

On a side, side note, the Razerblade Pro only has the nVidia GPU, so no optimus issues there.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

I saw that this issue was addressed with MSI in the RS2 release of Windows, scheduled for March 2017. Do you think this will be the fix for everyone, or just MSI based PC's?
We got this info from someone who works at MSI Germany, who was running tests with the RS2 Preview build. We haven't tried it ourselves. Seeing how it's a general Windows update, I would assume it's a universal fix.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

:D

najrock
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by najrock »

this issue makes like absolutely no sense to me... i am trying hard to understand like why the optimus thing even exists and how it helps gamers and everyday users I just do not grasp it... seems to be nothing but a pain in the ass

I tested msi stealths, blades, asus ROG's and it was just dismal... your checkbox workaround works perfectly it just is such a annoying thing to have to remember to do everytime you plug into a video wall...

I am testing one of the new $800 Dell machines with the 1050 Ti's this weekend... well see how that thing pans out

I am praying the update fixes this... :roll:

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Has anyone heard of the release date for RS2 besides March? Just getting a bit ancy and curious over here.

zelante
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by zelante »

dinga wrote:Has anyone heard of the release date for RS2 besides March? Just getting a bit ancy and curious over here.
On April 11

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

YAS!! thank you sir

magichand

Post by magichand »

Updated to RS2 two days ago. Still unable to output display 4. Is there anyone fixed the issue?

cheesenoonions

Post by cheesenoonions »

Has anyone resolved this issue by installing the 14986 build? My Alienware 17 R3 is running the 15063 build. I haven't verified whether or not the issue persists. I'll report back in about an hour or so.

sachismo

Post by sachismo »

I can confirm that is issue has been (sort of) solved for me on an Alienware R3 that is hardwired for Optimus.

The fix was the same as for dinga. Updated to latest "creators" build of windows. This fixed the black screen issue using nvidia 376.89 driver. But it also caused a new issue in that resolume and other programs no longer receive v-sync information and so always run at full available frame rates..

I can also confirm that updating to the newest nvidia drivers fixes the frame rate issue, but once again breaks the Optimus black screen issue!

Having too high of frame rates sounds like a good problem to have. But it is my understanding that is is not the best for being able to play, let's say, smooth locked 60fps rendered videos. Would love to have the option to have it work as usual. Anyone else having this same issue or any insight? Maybe worth another thread.

Anyway, at least it seams like the Optimus issue is a little closer to being fixed once and for all!

Cheers