black output with Resolume Arena

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
gatemode
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: black output with Resolume Arena

Post by gatemode »

stevo wrote:Hello,
During a long night 2 month ago I was looking for a solution for this issue and somehow solved it by using this forum and a lot of trial and error. Unfortunately I never understood what the trigger was, so I could not post it here. But its good to know that it worked without the BIOS modification.

Fore some reason a few weeks (and some Win10 or NVidea updates?) later it was not working again and the only way to resolve it was the BIOS workaround.
What non-BIOS methods did you employ that helped for you?

I had an event earlier tonight and hadn't worked in Arena much for about a month, and this time had many problems sending my outputs to the projectors both at home when working, and in setting up at the gig. Many issues with the projectors only displaying my extended desktop, a black screen, or when finally getting Resolume's output feed, displaying it in the wrong dimensions, or even overlapping from one screen to another incorrectly.

My computer has the Clevo Control Center where it can be switched from Hybrid to Discrete and I will be trying that asap to remedy this issue. Does anyone know if this is the same thing as changing the setting in the BIOS? or does going into BIOS and changing it there have a more positive effect than using the control center?

viktorlin

Post by viktorlin »

I too have this problem,
I'm using MSI GS43 with gtx1070 and windows 10, black output on external screen.
here's my thread about my problem and temporary work around.
viewtopic.php?t=13763

Also when force setting resolume arena to use intel gpu,external screen works fine in both full screen and advanced output mode , but the frame rate is around 30 and spout crash arena everytime I click it.

boompje

Post by boompje »

had the same problem on a new razer laptop.

I've solved this by setting the scaling options in "Adjust desktop size and position" to "No scaling"

cheers
roy

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Here's what happens inside your computer when you run into this problem.

- In Resolume, you select to go fullscreen on Display 2
- We ask the system what resolution that display has
- Windows replies with the resolution, let's say 1920x1080
- We then tell the graphic card to fill that display with black, so you don't see the Start menu or your desktop image
- Graphic card says, okay, done!
- Then we tell the graphic card to put the pixels you're playing in Resolume on that display, scaled to fill the full 1920x1080 resolution
- Graphic card says, okay, give me them pixels!
- At that point, Optimus jumps in, and says, no, no, you have to display those pixels, scaled to 0x0 in the top left corner

The result is that you see nothing but a black background. Which is not what you wanted at all and not what we told the graphic card to do.

As far as we know, there is no way to talk to Optimus and tell it to mind its own business. Also, we have no idea why Optimus would want to jump in and scale those pixels in the first place. It's very stupid behaviour that you would never ever want. It's so stupid, we're currently considering it a bug in Optimus.

lichtundfarben

Post by lichtundfarben »

Hi There

I am having the same issue with the black Output Screen. Resolume names it Display 4 or Display 5 although there is no Display 2-3. And it recognizes a different Resolution every time i connect something to the Output. Unfortunately my Problem is even a Little bigger:
In my bios there is no Option to Switch off optimus. There is hardly anything more than time, date und bootoptions. Nothing at all refering to the graphic Card. I know it's not always labelled optimus.

I am using the following machine:

HP Notebook Pavilion 15-bc060nz
Intel Core i7-6700HQ Prozessor mit 2,6 bis 3,5 GHz
16 GB DDR4-RAM, 256 GB SSD und 1 TB HDD
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M mit 2 GB GDDR5-Grafikspeicher
Entspiegeltes 15,6"-Display mit IPS-Panel und einer Auflösung von 1920 x 1080 Pixeln
2x USB 3.0, 1x USB 2.0, 802.11ac WLAN, BT 4.2, 1000 Mbps LAN, HD-Webcam
Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit

At the moment I am using resolume in demo mode. As I wanted to evaluate it first. But I already bought a lot of footage from resolume.

I bought the machine particularly with the use of resolume in mind.
Is there any way at all to get the outputs to work with my machine?

Best
Fabian

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

So, as explained above, this is something that should just work, but for some reason it doesn't. We're not sure why it doesn't work. We're considering it a bug with Optimus and Windows 10. That still doesn't help you though, because you shouldn't need to mess with BIOS or roll back to Win 7 to get Resolume to work on a new computer.

So we're going to give it another try, and see if we can find some hack that will work. Maybe we can disable Optimus for you, maybe we can find something else, we don't know.

What we do know, is that we need a machine that has the problem. So far, all our test machines running Optimus are working fine. So if you have a laptop with this issue, and you can spare it for a week or two, please let us know. Of course, we'll take care of all the costs for shipping and insurance.

HI5
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by HI5 »

Hello,

I'm using a XMG 506 with Nvidia 970M having the same issue on Windows10. I've solved this for the moment by deactivating the Intel graphic chip in BIOS.
My issue is/was a black screen in fullscreen mode and advanced output while a windowed output is working fine.

During a long night 2 month ago I was looking for a solution for this issue and somehow solved it by using this forum and a lot of trial and error. Unfortunately I never understood what the trigger was, so I could not post it here. But its good to know that it worked without the BIOS modification.

Fore some reason a few weeks (and some Win10 or NVidea updates?) later it was not working again and the only way to resolve it was the BIOS workaround.

I'm a few days off from 24Aug to 29Aug and can offer to send my Notebook to you for an analysis. Please contact me via PN regarding the shipping details. Thanks :-)

Kind regards
Sven

Im using the XMG P506 with the 980m 8GB via MINI DP and do not have these probs.

Maybe famillar with this: But i had probs with my TH2GO DP it was not recognized correct anymore due to some Win10 stuff. (Was detected wrong in hardware manager)
I had to get the newer Digital SE to get it working agian. The Digital Edition is also working.
While workin on that TH2GO prob i recognized a lot of people with displays that were not recognized correctly until they changed the DP signal format for the monitor.

Anothertom
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Anothertom »

So I had this problem but with an older generation GPU (660m) which was seemed similar to what i've read in this thread. Running integrated graphics worked fine but no output from dedicated GPU. I solved it a while ago using this solution from joris (second post), viewtopic.php?f=12&t=13763 , but only just refound that thread. After this it works fine while running optimus.

Hope this might help some of you still struggling with this, or if you've already tried this then sorry.

Joris

Post by Joris »

So, we're reliably informed by a contact at MSI that these Optimus problems are fixed in the latest Windows 10 Preview build (14986.1000, RS2). RS2 is rumored to be released to the public somewhere in March.

We haven't yet been able to confirm any of this, because we don't have access to a machine with the problem.

Dragonsoulj
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by Dragonsoulj »

As an aside from earlier.
leadedge wrote:...
It has worried me for some time that on my system the driver comes with a profile "Total War: Arena (arena.exe)". Presumably the profile knows where it is installed but there is nothing to indicate this. So maybe you have to look at this profile as well.
The profile name won't matter. I ran into this with some other tests. It is recognizing the executable name "arena.exe" and pairing it with the game Total War: Arena, aesthetically. The path to the executable is Resolume's install directory still, and the settings applied to this profile apply to Resolume.