How to Reset Control Values After DMX Connection

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
LightGuyCalvin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

How to Reset Control Values After DMX Connection

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

Hello,

Is there a way to completely reset an entire compositions control functions to their default values after using a DMX source without having to search for each one seperately? For example, direction of video clip playback or layer opacity. I recently used a lighting console to control attributes in Resoume and after disconnecting the console some of the values remained as if it were still connected. It would be tedious and time consuming to find each element that was altered. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: How to Reset Control Values After DMX Connection

Post by drazkers »

LightGuyCalvin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 00:11 Hello,

Is there a way to completely reset an entire compositions control functions to their default values after using a DMX source without having to search for each one seperately? For example, direction of video clip playback or layer opacity. I recently used a lighting console to control attributes in Resoume and after disconnecting the console some of the values remained as if it were still connected. It would be tedious and time consuming to find each element that was altered. Any advise or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Wouldn't clearing the fixture via the desk and then unplugging the cat5 do the same? Since the default value on the fixture should be zero.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

Imagine a scenario

- Trigger clip 1 in layer 1
- Change its direction via layer transport controls
- Trigger clip 2 in layer 1
- Reset all values on desk

You will now end up with clip 2 being reset, but clip 1 is still set to its changed direction.

Now imagine having to reset every value that was changed during show and you will see it becomes impossible to reset state like this.

The only real way to do this is to not save and reload the composition from the starting state.

LightGuyCalvin

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

drazkers wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 05:23
LightGuyCalvin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 00:11 Hello,

Thanks!!
Wouldn't clearing the fixture via the desk and then unplugging the cat5 do the same? Since the default value on the fixture should be zero.
Unfortunately it’s not quite that easy. DMX signals don’t process that way. The console doesn’t “send” Default values. Only values that need to change are transmitted from the desk. Lighting fixtures maintain a “Default” state until acted upon. Resolume appears to not have a “Maintain Default State” or “Return to Default State” in the absence of a DMX signal.

LightGuyCalvin

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

Joris wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 08:56 Imagine a scenario

- Trigger clip 1 in layer 1
- Trigger clip 2 in layer 1
- Reset all values on desk

You will now end up with clip 2 being reset, but clip 1 is still set to its changed direction.

Now imagine having to reset every value that was changed during show and you will see it becomes impossible to reset state like this.

The only real way to do this is to not save and reload the composition from the starting state.
Yeah, that’s pretty much the scenario. However, not a viable solution especially when someone passes you last minute content before or during the show. Being a creature of habit, I always save as not to lose content.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

LightGuyCalvin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 18:26 Unfortunately it’s not quite that easy. DMX signals don’t process that way. The console doesn’t “send” Default values. Only values that need to change are transmitted from the desk. Lighting fixtures maintain a “Default” state until acted upon. Resolume appears to not have a “Maintain Default State” or “Return to Default State” in the absence of a DMX signal.
If you build your fixture with a default value, when you clear the fixture in the programmer it will return to that. When building your fixture file you should be able to set a default value of zero or 127. If you are on MA i can help you with that.

LightGuyCalvin

Post by LightGuyCalvin »

drazkers wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 07:02
LightGuyCalvin wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 18:26 Unfortunately it’s not quite that easy. DMX signals don’t process that way. The console doesn’t “send” Default values. Only values that need to change are transmitted from the desk. Lighting fixtures maintain a “Default” state until acted upon. Resolume appears to not have a “Maintain Default State” or “Return to Default State” in the absence of a DMX signal.
If you build your fixture with a default value, when you clear the fixture in the programmer it will return to that. When building your fixture file you should be able to set a default value of zero or 127. If you are on MA i can help you with that.
Hello Drazkers!

I completely forgot about editing the fixture profile. That’s good to know! I’ll have to give that a try. I’m using the default GrandMA 2 fixture profile that’s built into the console. If I have any issues updating the fixture profile, I’ll let you know.

Thanks!