Artnet led strips loose signal

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Artnet led strips loose signal

Post by Grimm90 »

Hi ,

I've been working for a while now in a digital led strip installation but it's giving me some issues and I think it's Resolume..

Resolume is sending it's data over cable to the wifi router, which beams artnet over wifi to 8 little airpixel clients . Every airpixel is controlling 3 strips of 201 pixels each. (http://smartshow.lighting/airpixel-mini/) . There is nothing else on the router, which is next to the pc , and 3m clear distance from the airpixels.

So this setup works fine most of the time, the airpixels start up , connect to the wifi network , take their data from resolume & bamm shiny pixels everywhere.

Now once every 15 mins to 1 hour , one airpixel client (i call them units) will loose it's signal , it resets , picks up the datastream again & continues playing like nothing happened. I can't find a pattern in time when this happens , and it's always a random unit that drops out, can't predict which one, and it never happened with 2 units at the same time. Nothing else running on this computer, not even internet.

So starts the troubleshooting, tried another laptop, same issue . Updated everything , same issue. Changed the router multiple times & checked the settings with an IT wizard, same issue.
Changed utp cable, tried with resolume 6 & 7, same issue.
Tried to control the same installation with Jinx = No issues !

Then I opened a CMD window for every airpixel , ping -t to monitor them a bit whats happening.
So right before a unit "drops" , I see the pings of ALL clients go up through the roof , some requests time out , and after a random unit then drops , It all stabilizes again and continues playing with ping values between 5 & 30ms

I really can't find start or end on this problem, the only thing that got me is that the installation works fine in Jinx, so leaving me to think it's something in how resolume handles this load , it's a lot of pixels after all , many lumiverses... And i would really like to run it from resolume.

Any thoughts what might be causing this and ways to solve it ?
Would be very appreciated..
Untitled-3.jpg
Untitled-3.jpg (49.78 KiB) Viewed 7358 times

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Artnet led strips loose signal

Post by drazkers »

Stop using wifi. Your going 3m.

Its more likely that a camera system or backup server is bouncing info off every 15 minutes. I've used artnet over wired connections for days without issues. I suspect your network solutions are the issues.

Good trouble shooting solution:

Do one wireless and one wired from the same router. Honestly wifi can be dangerous for these kinds of reasons.

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

The receivers in the unit are what they are , not gonna change them. The 3m distance is just in my atelier, eventually they will move around all summer with a foodshop and be used to decorate trees and stuff.

In the end it's not such an "important" installation where failure is not an option during live show or something.

Testing with wire would be awesome but it's not possible , the receivers don't have a rj input.

The exact same setup works fine with Jinx as led animation software, over wifi, so i don't really think it's just hardware or network , rather how resolume deals with this setup :s
Trying to get a friend over with a madmapper license and see what that gives...

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Could try to lower the Artnet refresh rate in Resolume, maybe that would give more stability.

How many packets/frames does Jinx send per second?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu