Resolume 7 and CPU/GPU preference issues?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
mwebb9413
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Resolume 7 and CPU/GPU preference issues?

Post by mwebb9413 »

Hello all,

I am in need of an urgent solution to a problem.

The issue I am having is that it appears that Resolume is choosing to use our CPU and RAM mainly, instead of our GPU and VRAM. In fact the GPU and VRAM usage won't even show up in the "Hardware Stats" section. In my task manager I can see that my GPU is being hit, but only once the CPU has been crushed. There seems to be no setting to allow me to change this, and other programs seem to recognize the GPU fine. Is Resolume a CPU-first software? If so, how to I solve this issue? What CPU do I need to accomplish what I am trying to do? In its current state it is unusable...

I am running Resolume 7 on Windows 10. The computer has: 8 GB of RAM, an quad core i5-6500 3.2GHz processor, and an AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT graphics card with 8 GB of VRAM. We are running a pretty large setup, outputting 4 1080i60 feeds over a Blackmagic Decklink Duo 2, and 20 universes of Artnet. All of this is being sliced form a 5940x2160 composition.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Resolume 7 and CPU/GPU preference issues?

Post by Zoltán »

Using DXV encoded video clips would help to switch load to the GPU to decode clips ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

That helps a little. But the performance drop from the Decklink is still unacceptable. I tested instead coming out HDMI into a Decimator to go to SDI. And the FPS instantly jumped. I can run all my outputs through anything else and all is well, but running through the Decklink causes unusable FPS. Why is this? Is there no way around this and if so, why is Resolume advertised to work with Decklink?

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

Basically my new question based on my further testing is, how do I achieve fps success for the Blackmagic Decklink cards? What do BMD Decklinks needs to run Resolume well?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Can your i5 supply the needed PCI-e lane count to the GPU and the capture card, and other periferals?
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

Thanks for getting back Zoltan. I tried to call, but being in the US I don't know if it'll be possible to link up at a good time for you all. I have attached a picture of the computers specs. from what I can find it has a max # of 16 lanes, which the 8k Pro is an 8 lane card. So I don't believe it is maxing out the CPU.

However, I was wondering if the way Resolume sends out data has anything to do with it? I came across this forum discussion, https://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=18527

It seems to say that Resolume processes using 1 core and 1 thread? Am I understanding that correctly? This is an 8 core CPU. Meaning it is broken into smaller cores, rather than one really large one. Is that an issue? I mean that doesn't seem to be a problem for the GPU, but with Decklinks, are they even using the GPU?
Attachments
61702893790__CFDD4EE1-D3A2-4563-AD6C-037BB37FD09F.jpeg

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

In fact, until I implemented the USB-C to HDMI output on my setup, I never even had a GPU reading on my hardware stats section in Resolume.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

16 lanes total on the CPU, the capture card uses 8, your GPU would probably need 16, then storage, sound, etc still needs lanes.

The thread you found is related indeed, and as Menno said, there is room for improvement, but with not enough lanes on the CPU, that's where I'd start designing a machine.
We're not hardware builders though. I'd recommend following up on this in the Hardware section with more experienced builders.

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

I must admit I don't know the most about how computers are set up, but as this is an iMac Pro, all of that hardware is internal. Therefore I have no knowledge of whether it pulls from PCI or not. Does everything on the computer eat at the PCI limit?

mwebb9413

Post by mwebb9413 »

Does this PCI limit get shared with other piece of gear? Or does it all sit on the CPU?