Arena 6.1.3 crash on BigSur

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Arena 6.1.3 crash on BigSur

Post by Zoltán »

To be clear, v6 won't be changed any more.

Any changes we can make will be for v7 or later.
As you can read there, we're looking into the matter: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=20140
M1 looks interesting, but at this time it doesn't seem to be really competitive with any current nvidia laptop.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

Zoltán wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 08:26M1 looks interesting, but at this time it doesn't seem to be really competitive with any current nvidia laptop.
In 4.5 months, Apple will release a laptop with a Geekbench 5 CPU score of around 12,000 and a GPU t/flops equivalent to the RTX 3060, and this chip will have a total TDP of ~40W.

Which makes it roughly 8x faster-per-watt than any current nvidia laptop.

And, Resolume will perform worse on this Mac than Resolume does on an nvidia laptop because Resolume's rendering engine, among other things, is not optimized for ARM or Metal. Which is fine. But, I will revisit this forum in 4.5 months to gloat about the nvidia laptop not being competitive. Until then, you're absolutely correct about the M1, of course.

Cheers!

: )

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Dear @resolumejunkie,
I think it's time for me to step in. I would like to ask you to stop making assumptions and listen what we have to say. We are working towards native ARM support, but as you can imagine we have quite a large codebase it takes time to make sure it is ready to run on an ARM chip. Also we support quite a few third party techniques, think video streaming, capture support, and making sure all those libraries are up to date and running as expected on ARM just takes time. We are 95% there but the last 5% always takes a lot of time.
So please, be patient, ARM support will come, but we want to do it right and make sure people don't run into issues.
Regarding the OpenGL issue, of course we are more than aware that we need to move over to Metal/Vulkan. So we started 2 years ago on the development of a Vulkan based engine, but as you can imagine this is much bigger feat than getting our software to run on an ARM chip.
So again, we are a long way in but it still needs a lot of work, but we'll make sure we are ready before Apple drops OpenGL support altogether. Needless to say Apple is keeping us busy.

So please be patient and don't make assumptions without knowing the ins and outs. If you have more questions feel free to ask but try to keep the discussion constructive.

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

Dear @edwin,

This is a very satisfactory response. I attempted to extend my Arena updates past November 2021, by paying the €219.00, but was unable to do so, as the online account system was apparently not designed for extremely enthusiastic customers who wish to prepay for updates far in advance. So, I guess I will just have to wait until November to officially say, "thanks!"

Best wishes on the continued, challenging course ahead.

Sincerely,

A fan.

francoe
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by francoe »

Instead, Wire was released.