Midi Automation Like The Big Boyz

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
idrajit
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Midi Automation Like The Big Boyz

Post by idrajit »

Helloo
Me back again coming at you with my obscure issues :D

I'm trying to find a way to automate the buttons I'm pressing on resolume. I have mapped out a launchpad and I do my whole dj set from within resolume (my cam is in there with a green screen, and I created a mini stage with slices, etc. thanks to Arvol's advice). I just want my performance to be tighter, kind of like a choreography more than improvising stuff.

For example, once I play X song I would love to press a button at a certain point in it and then after 4 beats automatically it triggers the next column, then after Y beats the next etc.

Another route I thought of was to somehow get cue points in traktor to trigger midi button presses, but that seems like some whole other software that likely doesn't exist.

Anything you guys know that can help me automate this stuff somehow in this way (or any way?)

There must be something like this going on in main stages right? If I watch Eptic or Zomboy's VJ stuff the visuals have to be tightly sync'd to the music and don't allow for you to have triggered the clip say a beat afterwards or everything would be messed up. Not automating that seems like a gamble.

Let me know oh yee wise vj gods

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Midi Automation Like The Big Boyz

Post by Arvol »

Not sure what Zomboy set you saw but my buddy Jeremy is an absolute beast of a man on the faders. Most of his content he makes and then it's all triggered live, he literally plays the drums on the faders and buttons. So there isn't much automation on his shows.

You can use the start and end markers on clips and autopilot to get the look you're after. Furthermore, in your free time, I would suggest using that method along with live mixing while playing to a metronome and recording in Resolume. Then you can have pre-rendered and mixed clips you can just trigger live and all the work is done for you :)

And if you haven't played with Wire, there's always possibilities when building custom patches with that as well.