Crash renders most recent project unviewable

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
vectorfuton
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Crash renders most recent project unviewable

Post by vectorfuton »

So I've run into this issue a few times now where, if I have some sort of crash during a session (say from waking up my machine after hibernation and my displays have been disconnected, or *whatever*) it seems this sometimes ends up 'corrupting' the file and I lose the visual output of my set.

Oh sure, I launch clips and they show as playing, but the output is black. Even when I create new decks and drop in fresh sources, nothing shows! If I go back to the version of the set before the crash, no problemo. I've checked the master output, bypassed FX, etc... but for the life of me can't piece it together. I've restarted my computer, no dice.

Only thing I stumbled upon was viewtopic.php?f=12&t=15760 this thread which maaaaaaaaaaaaybe is related? I've had issues which corrupt XML messing with my Ableton sets before (as far as my research led me to conclude), perhaps tis the culprit in this instance too?

I save versions along the way so it's not the *end* of the world, but obv if this can be avoided I would love to know how. Thanks!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Crash renders most recent project unviewable

Post by Arvol »

Is the advanced output xml corrupted (as in you can't open it) or has the associated display been auto disconnected when the computer is asleep? Sounds like the OS disconnected the displays and then all you have to do is just open advanced output in Resolume and it will automatically re-associate those displays.

vectorfuton

Post by vectorfuton »

When you refer to the 'advanced output XML', do you mean a file I'd find in the Presets / Advanced Output folder? I'm not displaying using the Advanced Output feature, so I don't know if any files there would have been corrupted. Or is there supposed to be a file in my Preferences folder along the lines of the others which are there (defaultLayout, recentLayout) that I'm missing?

I can open the Advanced Output feature, but it doesn't re-associate / make visible my content.

The issue doesn't seem to be related to computer sleep state, as I've had to reconnect before because of this and worked things out fine, but with this new problem even upon fresh restarts of my OS and reopening the set - no dice.

---

Anyway, I wrote all the above and then went to try the set again just to *triple*check the next day... but now it suddenly works??

What the fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuudge?! I don't know. At this point I'm pretty sure it's just ol' Billy G getting back at me for talkin' smack about him on the innernet. Now Gates is personally messing with my Windows so as to lead me to believe that I'm having issues with Resolume. Quite nefarious when you think about it. :twisted:

Thanks anyway!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Maybe just an opacity slider moved down, and composition reload fixed that?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

vectorfuton

Post by vectorfuton »

I thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiink what may have happened is that, I had Resolume open first, and then loaded my Live template. But once Ableton loads up, I have some macros / OSC mappings which need to 'cleared / reset' to default values. I think what happened was that once Live loaded, the mappings I had attached to Composition level parameters Brightness and Contrast each got turned down to 0. Hence why even with opacity sliders all the way up, different sources used, etc... I couldn't tell the difference. Since it takes a few minutes to load up the Live .als, once it properly *did* initialize, it messed with the values and 'suddenly' mid-session I 'lost' visuals. Launching the reset routine in Live and then returning to Resolume seems to be what fixed it. Since I only ever look at the Composition tab like 0.5% of the time I'm in Resolume, probably why it slipped my mind.

Hopefully this info helps anyone else who may find themself in a similar situation. Cheers!