Using OSC to select deck by name??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
Alvis_Cortex
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Using OSC to select deck by name??

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Is there a way of using OSC to select a deck by its name rather than by its position?

I tried a replacing:
/composition/decks/4/select

with:
/composition/decks/deck_name/select or
/composition/decks/select/deck_name

But I got nowhere.

Thanks in advance

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Using OSC to select deck by name??

Post by Arvol »

Sorry, what you're after isn't a feature atm. The way OSC works is by defining an address then giving that address a channel value (float, int, string, color). The address to change decks are:
/composition/selectspecificdeck
to change that address mid show to something else would require the address system to be flexible and dynamic, I would imagine this would break a lot of references downstream of the address.

What are you trying to achieve?

Would not assigning a channel value to each deck be the same thing?

Example:
Deck:1 - Name: Fire - Value:0
Deck:2 - Name: Smoke - Value:0.1
Deck:3 - Name: Trees - Value:0.2
Deck:4 - Name: Clouds - Value:0.3
Deck:5 - Name: Tunnels - Value:0.4
Deck:6 - Name: Cats - Value:0.5

So anytime you want to play a cute cat video you would know to load deck 6 with an OSC value of 0.5

so if you're making a playlist or something along those lines, the deck order would remain the same, but whatever application you are using to callback the OSC output, would be the thing that is changed dynamically (keeping the link of that OSC button and the channel value reference).

Hoping this make sense.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed not a feature currently.
If it would be, what would you expect to happen with multiple decks having the same name?

BTW, You can select the next/previous decks using
/composition/selectnextdeck int 1
/composition/selectprevdeck int 1
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Thanks guys.

Basically, I'm coming up with a solution to be able to see my library of clips (folder level) where I can quickly select the "folder" that has the right content for that track that the DJ just dropped, very handy when you are a house VJ at a festival and need to react to what's happening on stage.

So I'm assigning buttons on Streamdeck (I fact in the Companion emulator) to decks on Arena, each button displays a thumbnail that visually represents the content of that deck (So my decks are essentially folders).

It's all good when I create my first design and have all the decks of my master composition assigned to buttons on streamdeck. But if I add a new deck to (let's say) the beginning of the dec klist/tabs then those buttons will no longer be selecting the correct deck, which is not the end of the world because I can just add the new deck to the end of the deck list and in streamdeck I can move that buttom to page 1.

BUT if for whatever reason I decide to delete a deck or a few decks in the future then I'd have to reprogram Streamdeck again.
But if the OSC message could select a deck by it's name (instead of it's position), then no matter where the deck is in my composition, that button (on streamdeck) would always select the correct deck

Does this make sense???

Now I'm intrigued by something Arvol said:
Would not assigning a channel value to each deck be the same thing?
Can I manually assign a channel value to each deck?? and then use that value in Streamdeck? If so then this would solve the issue I guess??? 🤔
If so, how??

Again, Thanks for your help

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

How about using Midi from the stream deck, and using "This Deck" shortcuts?
https://resolume.com/support/en/midi-sh ... cut-target
That would follow the deck when moved.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Alvis_Cortex

Post by Alvis_Cortex »

Zoltán wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 08:51 How about using Midi from the stream deck, and using "This Deck" shortcuts?
https://resolume.com/support/en/midi-sh ... cut-target
That would follow the deck when moved.
I didn't know I could send MIDI out of Streamdeck (I just started with Streamdeck) so ill give it a go.

Thanks for your suggestions