Code generated from light values from Arena?

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
MosaicRob
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Code generated from light values from Arena?

Post by MosaicRob »

Hi everyone,

I love Arena and have used it for years.

I'm now moving into using some little micro-controllers to control LED's that need to run their own code with LED values.

I'm wondering is there is a way to get an output of color/timing for LEDs from Arena as CODE? (C++?). For example, I'd design my lights in arena, and then when playing, it'd be recorded (kinda like how I can record DMX values) but instead with my RGB values / timing / LED position, etc.?

This would be amazing for me as a non-programmer, as I could then modify that much more easily than writing different light patterns from scratch.

Is this possible (within Resolume software)?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Code generated from light values from Arena?

Post by Arvol »

Here's one approach:
phpBB [video]

MosaicRob

Post by MosaicRob »

Thank you for the reply and video!

This is sort-of what I'm saying, but the output is way too much information. Ideally, instead of outputting the state of each LED over time (which is my understanding of what you're showing?), my goal is to simply see the light patterns shown with associated durations. This way, I could, say, run a few lines of code to repeat a light pattern over + over, rather than including the state of each LED for a duration.

I hope that makes sense what I'm asking... I realize there might be no way to do this, but if so, it'd be very powerful ... similar to how drag-and-drop web design tools let you export the code to modify on your own (if you dare! :) You use their UI to get it looking right, and then can see the code of what's doing it.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

I see, so you want something that will analyze a video clip and then have pixel values for each pixel and each time. So if the video file is 720p@60 with a duration of 10 seconds that would be 268,800 channels (1280x720 x3 [rgb]) with 600 value points for each channel (60 frames x 10 sec).
Then your hardware would read this info and convert that back into a video file?
This is way beyond Resolume, probably something you would have to build out on your own.

Do these external units need to be in sync or are they all independent of each other?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I'd probably try to make an art-net recorder on my end device.

An RGB led would need the same 8 bits per channel per pixel as a regular video file would, so then why not just play video files indeed?
You can record that right in Resolume.

There is no "code" stored for the Resolume dmx output, it's sampled live from the textures, and sent out right away.
There are also no patterns Resolume uses, that's just video clips.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

MosaicRob

Post by MosaicRob »

Arvol wrote: Fri Jan 21, 2022 01:03 I see, so you want something that will analyze a video clip and then have pixel values for each pixel and each time. So if the video file is 720p@60 with a duration of 10 seconds that would be 268,800 channels (1280x720 x3 [rgb]) with 600 value points for each channel (60 frames x 10 sec).
Then your hardware would read this info and convert that back into a video file?
This is way beyond Resolume, probably something you would have to build out on your own.

Do these external units need to be in sync or are they all independent of each other?
@Avrol... this doesn't seem like the best option.... but useful to see broken down like this!

No units do not need to sync...

@zoltan.... very interesting re: the video suggestion... I'm going to see if the controller boards I'm using can map video pixels to LEDs. Since my LED boards are not in a typical shape, I'd need some software that can interpret a video file and light up the correct LED... If this is possible, it might be the most simple solution since I can work directly in Arena for everything. ... More research needed.... thank for the idea