Beginner Questions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
smooshieface
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Beginner Questions

Post by smooshieface »

Hi Guys,

First post here, and a proud new owner of Resolume.
I have gone through the tutorial videos and just created my first piece of work, thrilled with the output and process.

Couple of probably dumb newbie questions, questions I have tried to find the answer to prior to posting but have not been able to find an answer yet.

Background

1. I am running a MacBook Pro 2019 i9 2,4 Ghz with 32 Gb ram and two graphics cards in the machine

1. Radeon Pro Vega 16 4 GB
2. Intel UHD Graphics 630 1536 MB

I have Resolume Avenue 7.3.0 and the DocOptic Resgen3 pack.
In the pack instructions I note the requirement for a specific type of video card to work properly.

Questions

1. Do I tell resolume to use the Radeon Pro Vega card over the Intel UDH Graphics, or does this happen automatically?

2. I am working with recorded audio songs, and have setup a number of columns with specific visuals and effects groupings per column, these columns suit sections of the recorded song.
I am controlling each column and other controllers via virtual midi (USB) via a NI Maschine MK3 controller. Every time I switch column it kills the audio loaded in the column (makes sense).
To get around this, I have copied the same audio file to each column and adjusted the in and out points to suit the section the column relates too.
Is this the correct method or is there a global audio location which will continue playing over column change?

3. In relation to AR capable generators, I have mapped certain parameters to compositional FFT, turned up the gain and can get automation happening, but don't seem to be able to (yet) find the right parameters to get a good result, is there any tips here?

Thanks for your help guys.

Sorry f the questions are dumb or if I have missed something in the tutorial files.

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Beginner Questions

Post by He2neg »

For 2nd...

you can also set the layer with the audio to ignore the collom trigger, so the audio will still play in collom 1 when you trigger collom 2/3/4

Right click on the clip spot and select "ignore collom trigger"
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

First, Welcome to the community. Happy to have you here.

1.) I believe OSX does this for you automatically.
In Resolume when you have an output connected, leave the screen blank (no content) and then click the dropdown menu labeled "Output" and then click on "Show Display Info" and you should see what GPU is rendering your composition on your connected output device.

2.) As He2neg has already suggested, I would select the layer with the audio and right click it and select "Ignore Column Trigger".

3.) Try clicking the > next to the audio waveform you are animating and dial in the in/out points of the EQ/Waveform to only select the part of the EQ you want to listen to, otherwise it will average the spectrum and give you a RMS output for the audio, so if you have a lot of the spectrum with no signal, that gets factored into your output parameter value. There are a lot of good AR sources and tutorials out there. Here are a few good ones to look into:
https://www.facebook.com/ioGenerative
https://www.facebook.com/thedocoptic
https://www.facebook.com/StvInMotion

TBH I feel that the audio section of Resolume is lacking a little bit for super advanced animations. It will get you 75% of what you need, but if you're trying to do some really tricky composition AR animations that will drive the whole show you might want to look at some third party tools. Although I believe a big audio update/expansion might be on the roadmap for Resolume in the near future, we'll just have to wait and see ;)
This topic is what drove me to build an app to take me the rest of that 25% (shameless plug, and there's a free demo on Juicebar):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cj-Df6-B1a0
I'd first give Resolume a shot on getting you what you need. With the Facebook links above you can see people can get some really good looks with the in the box solution from Resolume.

Again welcome. Hope you have a fun journey with Resolume :)

smooshieface
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by smooshieface »

Hi Guys,

Thanks so much for your responses.

You guys rule......
I will check out those links and continue this journey with this awesome app and community.

Be amazing

Fin