Using live video capture to manipulate effects

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
waffleicious
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Using live video capture to manipulate effects

Post by waffleicious »

Hey guys I'm still very new to resolume but have mapped a few things and am excited to continue. I've done some projection mapping but have been awed by people who are able to use live human interaction to manipulate the videos.

See this video linked to by another user on our forums:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ul5rTdY ... tQlzg7CEiw

I've seen these sorts of things done since the Ps2 Eye Toy and I know it's only gotten more advanced with people being able to code using the Kinect or Kinect ONE. I also know that the Kinect does not directly work with Resolume but I have seen some other users posting about ways to make it work.

I do not necessarily need all the DoF that Kinect provides. I just want to see an effect happen when someone who is standing in the view of a camera makes a certain move (like waves their arm and a trail of movement follows that motion).

I feel like this could be done with any camera as long as it was the motion that was isolated -although I am not sure how to do that.

I have a PS3 Eye Camera that did the trick on its system - and I don't believe it used the IR Depth of Field recognition that the Kinect does. In fact, I use it as a basic webcam from time to time and I feel like that's all it ever did.

Furthermore, I see amazing installations like this:
http://www.liftarchitects.com/projection-one
With no mention of any camera whatsoever (which I think they might have left out of the description for mystery's sake).

I know that I can buy a Kinect camera pretty cheaply and can use it with solutions like Media Zone Trigger or TouchDesigner but I feel like some basic movement tracking could be done on any webcam/camera and the movement's effects could be some sort of overlay in Resolume...

I may be wrong about that but I am DEFINITELY not well-enough informed on the process of motion capture and how to use it as an effect (whether in Resolume or elsewhere) so any information you guys could share with me would be amazing!

Thanks so much!!

He2neg
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Re: Using live video capture to manipulate effects

Post by He2neg »

Most stuff you see in the linked video is other then you are talking:

They use a camera and then manipulate the video feed of the ppl on stage. Use the outlines, convert the bodys into fluid and such things

what you talk is that the motion of the ppl is used as comand inputs n a different video ;)

These two things are different and need different soft- and hardware
Laptop: XMG P507 // Intel i7-5500 / GTX-1060 / 1tb SSD / 32gb RAM // Lemur / BirdDog Studio NDI
~self employed AV technician / Schu.VT|a|posteo.de~
~Berlin~