Fight climate change!

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Fight climate change!

Post by resolumejunkie »

I would add that Resolume Arena works fine on my 500-watt Windows 10 PC, though. Thanks.

But, Apple is currently building processors that will be released before the end of the year that use 1/8th the amount of energy and perform as well, so long as software was written with them in mind.

Do you care about climate change?

Decades from now, do the performing arts wish to be remembered as careless contributors to climate change, or active participants in reducing energy use? We’ve seen massive reductions in the energy consumption of movie production through the use of LED lighting fixtures like ARRI Skypanel S360 in place of HMIs. We’ve seen massive reductions in the amount of physical waste in movies with the on-set recycling programs. Yet, with media servers in general, they all run on these big, beefy heat-generating workstation hardware, in a world that is transitioning to ARM. It is discouraging. Okay?

I cannot in good conscience send $219 a year to a company uninterested in helping to address climate change by being unwilling to adopt modern software design to help software run optimally on the next generation of energy-efficient computers. It just goes against my values. I’d rather support other companies that want to address climate change by making software that performs well on low-power hardware, because that is consistent with my values. Okay?

Would I be profiting by selling my Arena license for more than I paid? Yes. Absolutely. Will I spend that money helping to address climate change? Yes. Absolutely. Which is more than can be said for Resolume, the company, when they make a sale. Just saying.

If 10,000 people using Resolume 5 hours a week could reduce their energy consumption by 400W, by running a heavily-optimized version of Resolume for ARM and newer graphics APIs, this would result in 1,040 Megawatt hours of avoided energy consumption annually. In a combined-cycle gas turbine plant (that produces 1,000 lbs. of CO2 per Megawatt hour), that's a 1,000,000+ lbs. of avoided CO2.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Fight climate change!

Post by Zoltán »

I care about climate change.

Moving over to a laptop already will halve your energy consumption.
The Dell laptop I have on my desk has a 240W power brick, with a 2070 in it. This can do a festival for you.

I don't think that on a festival, the 100 watts power saving will be the big factor in energy saving ;)

Are you driving an Electic car?
Do you charge it from solar panels on your roof?
Or are you riding your bike to work?

Are you sitting in an air conditioned room?
Are you living zero waste?
Do you buy less stuff at all?

How many trees have you planted this year?

That's where you start fighting climate change. We've said multiple times, that we're looking into ARM support.

And you can be sure as hell, that Apple doesn't develop to fight climate change.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Whatever he's smoking, I'll pass ;)
GTFO lol
How much power does your projector or LED wall use?? lol
I can't even.......
So many hard facepalms on this one.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Arvol wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 16:15 Whatever he's smoking, I'll pass ;)
That's probably CO neutral, if it's organic ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Zoltán wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 12:07 And you can be sure as hell, that Apple doesn't develop to fight climate change.
Unsurprisingly, I have a different perspective. Let me share it in the form of a story. Hey… remember back when Apple released the PowerBook G5? Me neither. Putting a G5 in a PowerBook was impossible because it got too hot. Apple transitioned to x86 architecture specifically because of performance per watt concerns. In the years since, apple’s entire focus as a company has been on performance per watt and battery life. They even entered the chip business to make more energy efficient chips than anyone else. In the consumer space, they’ve succeeded. Although, the RISC-V architecture looks promising as well. Apple’s entire operations are powered by renewables (carbon offsets, at least). So, to say that Apple doesn’t develop to fight climate change I don’t think fits the fact pattern of what Apple has been doing for at least the past fifteen years or so. First company to dump flash on mobile, for example. Greta Thunberg would be proud.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Apple is a public company. It’s main goal is making money. If the easiest way to make money is destroying the world, they would do that.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

See attached image.
Attachments
CC984CB8-4BC1-40B5-94FD-5A844FA9A474.jpeg