Arena practical limits / RGB Strips

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
AcdNrg
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Arena practical limits / RGB Strips

Post by AcdNrg »

So I´ve owned Avenue for a while and lately have fallen in love with wire, output was via projector so far.
Then again, I´m currently playing with RGB strips of the 5m/30 pixels/m variety, which leads to a decision between Arena and Madrix.

As a more or less standard, Madrix is a no brainer, setups are scaling to 1k, 4k, 15k, 65k, 256k and even 1m DMX channels. Not that I could afford anything beyond a 16k license though, but Madrix seems to be enabled for crazy big installations.

Which makes me wonder: How well does Arena scale (and what are the systems requirements) when looking at artnet setups in the range of 20-50 rows of 150 pixels, so 9000-25000 DMX channels?

Not sure if Arena would handle that well, as I perceive all the DMX / Pixelstrip stuff as an add-on to a software aimed at VJ-ing vs. alternatives that started with LED matrices in the first place. I may be completely wrong (and I hope so).

I´d LOVE to stay in the Resolume ecosphere and extend VJing to a ceiling LED matrix, just not sure whether that makes sense or not.

Thoughts?

Menno
Team Resolume

Re: Arena practical limits / RGB Strips

Post by Menno »

Coincidentally i'm working on this as we speak. What do you mean by scaling? Just performance?
I'm currently working on getting 65k channels to run smoothly. This runs fine with a 2.59GHz cpu.
The performance problems start when i open the screen setup, that's when it drops to 10fps. I am still working on this so i'm trying to improve that. The screen setup is supposed to be closed during shows though, so i would say it's workable already.
Scaling up to 256k and 1M for a single panel is not going to happen for this update at least. Resolume is still using ArtNet 2 and thus only supports 256 consecutive universes=131k channels. You could go beyond that but then you'd have to send to a different ip, so if you want to address one panel you'd need a merger of sorts.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

only supports 256 consecutive universes

Yes, per any destination IP address ;)
You can have up to 1024 Lumiverses / outputs currently

Why not just try it with the Arena demo on your current hardware?
You can send either to an existing IP, or Broadcast to test the performance.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

AcdNrg
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by AcdNrg »

Thanks to you two, I read this as: For what I need, Arena is already there today and will get even better with coming releases.

As much as I´d love to test on hardware, this hardware is just being designed (and it will take me a little longer to get stuff soldered and mounted). While 40 strips are currently in shipment, I only got a single 5m strip of WS2815 to test for now.

Also, physical arrangement is not final yet - I started with the idea of a simple grid: 8x5m strips vertically, 10x4m strips horizontally, pitch around 50cm, similar to the fifty club installation, but in a bonsai version. Installation will be a hanging ceiling in a 4x5m room. Can´t get my head around a proper addressing scheme though. Probably it´s easier to just mount those 18 strips (maybe a few more) in parallel and do any perpendicular lines only software, much like a LED panel/display is organized. Will also need to play around with pitch, so I could end up with a few more strips or only partial coverage of the ceiling.

The original Idea of 18 strips would mean 2460 Pixels at 30/m density = 7380 DMX channels. If that doesn´t look good enough, I can add more strips, currently up to twice the number, so getting closer to 16k channels. Even if I jump to 60/m density for a v2, I´d still be well under the current 65k limit mentioned by Menno.

TLDR: For what I´m aiming at, Arena is well suited in it´s current state, which doesn´t make my decision easier :)

Merci!