Some Wire questions

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
AcdNrg
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Some Wire questions

Post by AcdNrg »

Fellow Resolumers,

can you help me sorting a few things out regarding Wire abuse? I´ve been through a variety of software reviews in the past weeks, a very frustrating journey since there were so many different paradigms and GUIs to learn - and none delivered what I´m looking for. Wire is sort of my last hope now and I know it will be a hack using Wire in ways not yet intended.

1. I need a node that puts out discrete values between 0..255 (yes, it´s about DMX). I´d like to set and chnage this value via

- entering a static value
- using some GUI element in Arena, sort of a virtual desk, independent of the patch layout in Wire
- a MIDI controller (0..127 translated into 0..255)
- a function (LFO, ENV) based on BPM which are derived from Ableton Link tempo.

2. This value needs to be sent to a specific artnet address or multiple addresses (fixture grouping)

3. There will be multiple instances of this, such as one for x position, one for y posistion etc of a DMX fixture

4. There will be multiple fixtures, ie 4 scanners, 8 moving heads etc.

Will this be a spaghetti monster patch in Wire or can parts of such a setup be hidden in "subfolders", ie elements that are grouped and represented in the GUI as a single, simple element?

How easy can I select one or more of these groups and copy them to a new patch?

The basic idea is to recreate some sort of DMX control software and integrate that into the video workflow. I´d pick a software made for that purpose in a heartbeat if these things were actually built around the concept of relative time such as bars, beats, divisions relative to BPM. But almost all of them - madrix being an exception - have their cuelists built on absolute times (ms) and don´t follow tempo.

I´ll be running Wire for video content as well, as that´s an obvious use case. Since I´d like to run video and traditional lighting in sync, based on musical times, I wonder if it is totally crazy to control the DMX fixtures from Wire or if it´s something that can be done with some effort.

Have a great day!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Some Wire questions

Post by Zoltán »

We're working on Art-net output for Wire.
Meanwhile, I'd probably do something like drawing a greyscale rectangle from my patch, and play it in Resolume, then map single channel L fixtures (with gamma set to 1) in the advanced output to this rectangle to take the rectangle as it's input.
Then send the DMX from Resolume.

You can even make this easier, by using fixtures as slice input in your Wire patch, and render the slice with the grey color.

Or use something like this DMXHelper, and map the fixtures manually: http://palffyzoltan.hu/index.php?url=pr ... helperwire
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

AcdNrg
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Some Wire questions

Post by AcdNrg »

Ho Zoltan,

that sounds promising! I´ll spend some more time with wire and test things using MIDI output for now, just to get the hang of wire. Once DMX out is ready, switching protocols is better than creating from scratch.

Have a great day!