DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When... "

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
VJ Psyberpixie
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When... "

Post by VJ Psyberpixie »

Hello 👀,
Created a new thread to see ; if there's any news, updates or hope to have :
" DXV Files Preview on Mac Finder " SOON.
It's so difficult and time consuming to organize thousands of clips without it, been managing by dropping them on Resolume or Alley to preview, but there has to be a better solution. I had the QLVJ third party plug-in that helped for a while but stopped working.

whoever makes this Plug-in App will be a Hero!

can't imagine going into anther year without this.
🌟Keep It Lucid🌟

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: DXV Preview's on Finder Mac " When... "

Post by Arvol »

I don't touch Mac's, but this is already a thing in a Windows environment. Doesn't help you now, but just letting you know it's a thing, incase you plan on upgrading hardware in the future sometime.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Third party .mov formats hooks for Quicklook are not allowed any more on OSX unfortunately.
One day we might have our own extension for DXV, so this might be possible again.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

VJ Psyberpixie
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by VJ Psyberpixie »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Oct 14, 2021 11:46 Third party .mov formats hooks for Quicklook are not allowed any more on OSX unfortunately.
One day we might have our own extension for DXV, so this might be possible again.
Thank you Zoltan for the info. But what are your suggestions to help VJ's organize thousands of visual clips on a Mac with no preview on Finder ( until there's a new extension/Plug in for DXV ? ).

Possible for Resolume to create the Thumbnails Larger in the " FILES/Search Window " ?

Maybe if it can pop out so we can stretch it and the thumbnails stretch with it,
and/ or if the thumbnails can have the option to be viewed side by side instead of a Column can also save us 'sanity ' instead of scrolling through hundreds at a time. ( so a Pop- up window would be ideal so that the bigger we stretch it the more thumbnails are shown side by side )

Could these be ideas your team could work with ? that may be easier then creating a DXV Preview solution ?

if you do make this ! hope this baby gets named after me lol :)
🌟Keep It Lucid🌟

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

At one point in time, Adobe Bridge worked for previews.
I would use that or use Arena and Ctrl+click all the clips you want to organize and put them in a new Deck, then open a new comp and import that deck and do a collect all media to get all the files copied that way, then delete the originals.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed, the Media manager will create folders for every deck you had.
I'd keep my many media files on a separate drive (so I have a backup) and do my picks from there.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Yes previews for DXV on the Mac, ohh and just directly export from to DXV from Quicktime....
Hmm wait, there was a time that just worked out of the box. Then Apple decided having 3rd party Codecs was a security issue, so our DXV Quicktime codec stopped working.
We then took the time to create a quicklook plug-in that allowed previews in Finder for DXV files again. But since a year or 2,3 that is not allowed anymore as well. So as much as we would like it, Apple made it impossible.
But good point on the File panel, we were thinking along these lines already, especially if you make the Files panel quite large we should be able to generate a bigger more comprehensive view.

Btw, on of the reasons we build Alley is actually to make it easy to view your DXV files on Windows and OSX. And it's free, so you can run it on any machine even if Arena is not installed on tit.

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

Apple only wants to support codecs for which they can build low-energy custom ASICs. All the others? They have 0 interest in supporting them.

You are correct.

I am curious if the underlying rationale for needing a GPU-based codec is still relevant on Apple platforms, particularly as the company moves towards ASICs for encoding and decoding ProRes on Apple Silicon?

The new video encoder and decoder ASICs in the A15, for instance, are 75% more energy efficient than the previous encoder and decoder in the A14. And, they support ProRes. Looking forward to the announcement on October 18th... Perhaps more good news regarding ProRes on the Mac.