RGBA + Z

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Avitvideo
Is taking Resolume on a second date

RGBA + Z

Post by Avitvideo »

I'm not sure if this has already been suggested but:

Can we have an extra channel included in the DXV format to indicate depth (Z), so when 2 +Z channel videos are mixed they would interleave depending on the Z value of each pixel.

Obvs would need software to export the z channel which will have to be pretty painstaking to do manually to start with.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: RGBA + Z

Post by Zoltán »

Do you know of software that can export this Z depth data already?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Avitvideo

Post by Avitvideo »

Nope!

UON

Post by UON »

I can export z-depth masks out of my renderer when I make animations, sometimes I even include them in my packs! Adding RGBA + Z pixel would allow for endless possibilities with dynamic control! You could change the depth of field, darken/lighting the parts of the image farther away, shift perspective of the image a few degrees etc!

I don't know how they could implement encoding the videos though. Maybe have a regular encode, then take the encoded file put it into Alley and have an encoding option to "add z layer" to append the depth data to the DXV file?

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

This is probably a feature that less than 1% of the users would actually use. I can count the number of VJ's I've worked with that use generative content live on two hands. None of which change any scene looks, just camera angle's and GLSL vec settings.

edwin
Team Resolume

Post by edwin »

Next to Depth buffer Object and UV passes can also be very useful to do post processsing in Resolume.
This technique is actually quite powerful and we have been playing around for this for a while now.

If we implement a feature like this we'll probably allow a Clip to have multiple tracks (so they play in sync) and use the additional tracks (like Depth/Object/UV/Position) as input for effects. These effects can pick up this extra information and use them to their liking.

Just imagine the amount of variations you could make when having this extra information to your disposal. And rendering Object passes is cheap, so you can easily create a few and use them live to create different looks on the fly.

Avitvideo

Post by Avitvideo »

Hi Uon,

What software are you rendering with please?

Thanks

Tabasco
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Tabasco »

Zoltán wrote: Fri Nov 22, 2019 08:49 Do you know of software that can export this Z depth data already?
Mandelbulb3d can do so since many years.