Rework Lumiverses /Fixture Handling/ Advanced Ouput Improvements

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
movebandit
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Rework Lumiverses /Fixture Handling/ Advanced Ouput Improvements

Post by movebandit »

First of all:
Please! Please! Get Rid of the "By Universe Pixelmapping". Did you ever try to map Pixelstrips with more than 170 pixels per fixture ? It took me a long time and a lot of calculating to set up. When you´re working with 50-60 Universes via Artnet, its really time consuming to split every fixture in different pixels to make them fit into the universes (smaller example in attachment).

And after that, some wishes for improvement (still not complete):

-Fixture Spanning for More than one Universe !!! (as mentioned above)
-Other Fixures than Lines (Circles,Bend,L, Whatever) Fixture Cutter/Splitter, Warping ?
-Show lowest Adress in Fixture (Red Dot ?)
-Input / Slice / Fixture Mask
-Fixture/Slice Groups (Group Masks?)
-Select more than one Fixture to set framerate, Gamma etc
.....more to come....
Attachments
Provisuell Pixelmap Example.zip
(40.25 KiB) Downloaded 881 times

Wasko

Re: Rework Lumiverses /Fixture Handling/ Advanced Ouput Improvements

Post by Wasko »

Oh man 200% yes to all of that. I find my self spouting to Madmapper whenever I have to deal with Artnet Fixtures or LED Mapping because of the missing features you mentioned. I'm happier in Resolume and would love to just stay there for these tasks with these improvements made.

Especially the fixtures spanning more then one Universe, that has driven me crazy more then once; a lot of LED controllers just naturally operate that way.

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

If you have a fixture spanning across multiple universes, how do you expect the channels to be split? eg what if the Red and Green channels for the last fixture pixel still fit on the first universe but the Blue channel doesnt. Does this entire pixel move over to the new universe (and thus leave 2 empty channels in universe 1) or does it not have any gap and does your fixture controller recombine the multiple universes into a single fixture pixel again?

Grimm90
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by Grimm90 »

with my artnet led installation universes get used up to channel 510, that's 170 pixels .
Channel 511 - 512 are unused , next pixel will start on the next universe ,

dreamaticos
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by dreamaticos »

Menno wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:05 If you have a fixture spanning across multiple universes, how do you expect the channels to be split? eg what if the Red and Green channels for the last fixture pixel still fit on the first universe but the Blue channel doesnt. Does this entire pixel move over to the new universe (and thus leave 2 empty channels in universe 1) or does it not have any gap and does your fixture controller recombine the multiple universes into a single fixture pixel again?
Based on the LED order being RGB:

With my home made artnet controllers I essentially have to do 1-170 as normal. Map a single RGB pixel on the remaining 511-512, and tell Resolume the next strip is BRG, until that universe is full, then continue my silly fix. An option to tell Resolume to continue on from lumiverse 1 -> lumiverse 2 would actually be kind of nice. It would at least save me a lot of napkin math.

Since it sounds like other artnet devices might handle this differently an option to choose spanning behavior might solve that issue.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

I think the 'norm' is to skip 511 & 512 which allows to span RGB over more than one universe (typically 2 or 3 but could be more).

Skipping 511 & 512 works with RGBAW or RGBWW as well and RGBA is a none issue since 512 is divisible by 4.

drazkers
Wants to marry Resolume, and Resolume said "yes!"

Post by drazkers »

I have never worked on an installation or festival that does universe spanning per fixture. Loosing one channel isn't really the end of the world.

Typically wish devices(I see you bullshit Alibaba). Even for marshmello on V6 we got around this.

alittle bit of programming and foresight helps.

This is not a feature in D3 and Hippo to my knowledge, could be wrong.

Wasko

Post by Wasko »

drazkers wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 11:03 I have never worked on an installation or festival that does universe spanning per fixture. Loosing one channel isn't really the end of the world.

Typically wish devices(I see you bullshit Alibaba). Even for marshmello on V6 we got around this.

alittle bit of programming and foresight helps.

This is not a feature in D3 and Hippo to my knowledge, could be wrong.
It's not just 'one fixture'. It could be a massive array of LED bars or strips built into a stage in a grid. Madmapper lets you set it up as one fixture / matrix with rows and columns and set your 'zig zag' pattern. It's incredibly useful and I use it almost on a weekly basis and most festivals I work at.

It's also for when you have 50 or 100+ LED bars with 30 pixels of RGB in each (for example). In madmapper I can just 'Ctrl+D' all day and call it done, it flows through universes automatically. Mapping LED is an absolute breeze and it's a joy to use with just a few simple features. I'd love it if I could do this in Resolume.

Instead when I map in Res I end up with 10 random fixtures that are named '1/3 of last pixel top left' because it doesn't span universes and my LEDMX4PRO's (a very reputable, widely used brand) group them to make mapping big LED stages and installations easier.

Also: Why the arbitrary universe limit of 16?

No hate on Resolume it's my love, but it'd be awesome if I could do this job within it instead of piping video over to Madmapper.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Wasko wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 01:45 Also: Why the arbitrary universe limit of 16?
Resolume can output 16 universes * 16 subnets =256 universes per destination IP address.
Check out our support page here on how to set up DMX output: https://resolume.com/support/en/dmx#usi ... lumiverses

Currently you can have up to 1024 Lumiverses in the advanced output.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Menno
Team Resolume

Post by Menno »

Excuse my ignorance, but how many universes/pixels does everyone expect to be addressing with pixelstrips? 60 sounds like an exaggeration, or is that actually the amount you'd be using? Or perhaps even more?