Show info / bounding rects View option

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
mrlupin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Show info / bounding rects View option

Post by mrlupin »

I'd love to be able to display center and/or bounding rects for clips/layers and groups
a sort of advanced composition info

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Show info / bounding rects View option

Post by Arvol »

You can do this in Advanced Output. I typically do all my positioning and scaling in Advanced output and then just use the Slice Transform FX to apply the formatting to the group or layers. This way, if something goes south during the show, it can easily be fixed in Advanced Output vs dicking around with layer or group transform controls that may or may not be the issue.
Leave the mapping to one section and then performing in another section, when you mix the two, you're just asking for trouble ;)

mrlupin

Post by mrlupin »

well on the advanced output you can only tsee the composition bounding rect not clips or layers within a composition or I missed something. and when you prepare a show or want to tweak a composition juggling with slices is very weird . and advanced output uses a lots of ressources .
it's funny how people cannot see the benefit of on screen selection.
I'm come from modul8 , millumin, after effect, photoshop and other compositing softwares and none of them only let the use select elements from the parameters window it's none sense . and it's sad to force the user to us a specific workflow whirrs the software let you configure the layout the way you want.
when it comes to Live compositing and not only playing a prepared VJ set, when you are doing collage like I do I my vj sets you need a quick and easy way to move and do visual compositions .

mrlupin

Post by mrlupin »

and the preview monitor could be a good view to display the bounding rect and center of clip and act like a pad where we could drag, scale , rotate the clip from the window

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Advanced Output actually doesn't use much resources at all.
During a show, trying to juggle layer transform controls would be the worst thing you could try to do, especially if the wrong layer is selected by accident (happens a lot).

One of the reasons Slice Transform was built was to make on the fly mapping during performances so fast and easy. There is a reason there has been a 7+ year record of responses on this thread saying "leave the mapping to Advanced Output and Not in your layer". Things go bad really quickly. It's a Lot easier to assign a slice transform to a layer and do your editing in real time in Advanced Output. Everything is nice and organized and is easy to find and edit. You can also create multiple looks or slices and cycle through them for various mappings and looks with a quick press of a MIDI button which is super handy for getting creative with your mappings during the show.
Here is a short video showing how to do this:
https://vimeo.com/485138882

Also, Do people actually do "prepared VJ sets"? I've never seen this happen once in over a decade of working in this industry. :lol:

mrlupin

Post by mrlupin »

Well I work a lot with mad mapper and I see dot benefits of "slices" which is surface paradigm but when you do collages I works a bit differently and I'm not talking about mapping. I'm really talking about compositing ease.

about prepared VJset , well you create content on purpose and when wyyou duplicate clips and move position and size and effect, you prepare a VJset .
in my experience I'd rather spent most of my time compositing than focusing on clicking the right button :D and My experience is the position button and guessing center points is very frustrating in Resolume comparing the rest of ease of use