MIDI feedback for layer-mapped clip parameters

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
simon
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

MIDI feedback for layer-mapped clip parameters

Post by simon »

I've assigned a motorized fader (in absolute mode) to the speed control of a layer, so that it maps to the clip speed of that layer. I start the first clip of the layer, and increase layer speed, let's say from 1 to 5. Now I start the second clip, which still has speed 1 and thus resets the layer speed to 1. However, no MIDI feedback is sent to the controller for the layer speed change, so my fader still stays at the position for speed 5. Only when I move the layer speed fader in the UI a little bit, then a feedback is sent and the motorized fader adjusts its position.

The same is true for the LEDs around a knob btw.

The feature request here is to send MIDI feedback for all mapped clip/layer parameters, so that my MIDI controller is updated whenever the clip of that layer changes.

Just for reference, this is based on an email discussion with Christoph Löbl.

simon
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: MIDI feedback for layer-mapped clip parameters

Post by simon »

So, after tinkering with this a bit more, I've made the following conclusions:
  • There's 11 layer-mapped parameters, 4 for the layer itself (blend mode, master, audio volume, video opacity), and 7 for the clip that's playing (timeline speed, play mode, trigger mode, play backwards, pause playback, play forwards, timeline).
  • Only the ones related to the clip are affected by this (because the ones for the layer don't change when changing the clip).
  • The timeline already constantly sends a feedback (putting the timeline on a motorized fader is the dumbest thing I did this week though but it's kinda fun to watch 😂).
  • I tested "play mode", "trigger mode", "play backwards", "pause playback" and "play forwards", and they also all receive a feedback every time the clip changes.
Thus the only mapped parameter that does not receive a MIDI feedback on clip change is the speed! Maybe this is rather a bug after all 🙃

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the speed control of the layer (the horizontal "S" slider).

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: MIDI feedback for layer-mapped clip parameters

Post by Zoltán »

simon wrote: Wed Dec 02, 2020 19:27 us the only mapped parameter that does not receive a MIDI feedback on clip change is the speed! Maybe this is rather a bug after all 🙃
Yes, sounds like it.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu