Met Resolume in a bar the other day

NDI HX

Post by Jambalob »

Please and when? And Thank you.

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: NDI HX

Post by resolumejunkie »

How about now and today? On Windows, just use the (free) Newtek NDI Bridge as a transcoder from Full NDI to NDI HX2.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

What would be the case for this? HX looks like crap IMO waaaaaay too much compression.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Last time I recall, you didn’t see much value in full NDI, either. So, I don’t see any value in sharing uses for it.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

SDI/HDMI>NDI>NDI-HX

IMO HX is great for sending small preview windows to people but never for actual show use. NDI isn't really that reliable but it's still better than HX in terms of quality.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

If NDI is a fundamentally unreliable technology, then why did Vizrt pay $90m for it? Is Resolume worth $90m? And, really, unreliable compared to what?

As far as HX, does encoder qualify factor into your opinion formation process?

The x265 codec looks great! 10-bit HEVC 3840x2160 at 1MB per frame looks phenomenal!

HX is useful anywhere you want a lower bandwidth video stream. Current applications are WiFi and WAN.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

resolumejunkie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 18:04 If NDI is a fundamentally unreliable technology, then why did Vizrt pay $90m for it? Is Resolume worth $90m? And, really, unreliable compared to what?
They paid for the whole package, NDI and Newtek, not just the technology
resolumejunkie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 18:04 As far as HX, does encoder qualify factor into your opinion formation process?

The x265 codec looks great! 10-bit HEVC 3840x2160 at 1MB per frame looks phenomenal!

HX is useful anywhere you want a lower bandwidth video stream. Current applications are WiFi and WAN.
Do you actually use Resolume and NDI in a live environment like 90% of the users on this forum? A lot of your posts seem to be pushing for things that Resolume is just not meant for. Pushing Vuo Pro plugins ($120 license btw, not cross platform), comparing Resolume to iPad software (oh look, again, not cross platform) built for a specific purpose.

If you're so knowledgeable on rendering engines, you should have gone ahead and built your own VJ software in the time when everybody was out of work.

Seriously though, there's plenty of us out there that have tried to use stuff like NDI in a live environment, but they way Resolume is built to run on their own custom engine, using their own custom codec - when it comes to all the strobing, flashing, fast video movement and switching, SDI is the better capture solution.

I own Tricasters with both SDI and NDI, and get better frame rates captured in Resolume with SDI than NDI, and this is after years of doing large scale work in large corporate networking environments (15+ years). Hell, AMX is a better solution than NDI most of the time

Instead of trying to get people to change their software to your special case needs, how about finding something that suits your needs or write your own software? There are plenty of solutions out there to try (GrandVJ, Modul8, TouchDesigner, Notch, Disguise, Hippo).

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

dirtyjohn_lv wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 00:41
resolumejunkie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 18:04 If NDI is a fundamentally unreliable technology, then why did Vizrt pay $90m for it? Is Resolume worth $90m? And, really, unreliable compared to what?
They paid for the whole package, NDI and Newtek, not just the technology
resolumejunkie wrote: Tue Jul 27, 2021 18:04 As far as HX, does encoder qualify factor into your opinion formation process?

Do you actually use Resolume and NDI in a live environment like 90% of the users on this forum? A lot of your posts seem to be pushing for things that Resolume is just not meant for. Pushing Vuo Pro plugins ($120 license btw, not cross platform), comparing Resolume to iPad software (oh look, again, not cross platform) built for a specific purpose.

If you're so knowledgeable on rendering engines, you should have gone ahead and built your own VJ software in the time when everybody was out of work.

Seriously though, there's plenty of us out there that have tried to use stuff like NDI in a live environment, but they way Resolume is built to run on their own custom engine, using their own custom codec - when it comes to all the strobing, flashing, fast video movement and switching, SDI is the better capture solution.

I own Tricasters with both SDI and NDI, and get better frame rates captured in Resolume with SDI than NDI, and this is after years of doing large scale work in large corporate networking environments (15+ years). Hell, AMX is a better solution than NDI most of the time

Instead of trying to get people to change their software to your special case needs, how about finding something that suits your needs or write your own software? There are plenty of solutions out there to try (GrandVJ, Modul8, TouchDesigner, Notch, Disguise, Hippo).
That’s a great deal of hostility considering all I did here was respond to someone else’s question with a free solution! Transcoding NDI to NDI HX previously required Sienna ND Processing Engine, starting at $7,000. I was really impressed Newtek included transcoding in NDI 5 Bridge. Felt like sharing. Arvol’s tone was very dismissive. I can’t figure out why. I simply responded to a question with a free solution. Rock n roll people don’t make much sense to this filmmaking-industry person.

But, to answer your question, no, I try to avoid Resolume in general for on-set video playback on movies and tv shows. Some people do use it. I think it’s the wrong tool for that job. But, sometimes it has features that are necessary (mapping, for instance). As far as live events, no, I have zero passion for an art form that caters to people who are intoxicated and/or high. Not my thang.

As far as careers go, filmmaking has better wages, healthcare benefits, and a better safety record than live events. We don’t kill people as often as live events do. : )

And, the film industry has never had a mass-casualty incident, unlike countless concerts and nightclubs.

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

dirtyjohn_lv wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 00:41 Pushing Vuo Pro plugins ($120 license btw, not cross platform),
This one actually hurts. What I did was spend $300 of my own money on Vuo Pro to be able to make and give away, for free, a color temperature FFGL plug-in, to another user who requested one. After doing this kind deed, I had my head chewed off by Arvol for doing a good deed: giving something away for free, that required no license whatsoever to use, Seeing my good deed lambasted, I removed the link. I understand you don’t need a color temperature FFGL plug-in. But, to accuse me of “promoting” $120 software, when I was literally giving away a free FFGL plugin is beyond the pale! Like I said, I don’t understand you rock n roll people at all! Try to be nice, and everyone hates you! You guys are not ambassadors for Resolume at all! You run people away from it!

I guess I’m one of the few Resolume customers not on drugs all the time! Geesuz.

dirtyjohn_lv
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by dirtyjohn_lv »

The issue is, as a self proclaimed new Resolume user, you are attempting to tell "rock and roll" users with years of experience how things should be.

Instead of looking for suggestions on how to improve your own setup or learning different tricks or techniques, first thing you do is suggest how to change the software or how bad it is compared to others out there.
resolumejunkie wrote: Wed Jul 28, 2021 04:14 This one actually hurts. What I did was spend $300 of my own money on Vuo Pro to be able to make and give away, for free, a color temperature FFGL plug-in,
So it's ok, for you, a new Resolume user, to spend your own hard earned $300 on a license for 3rd party software and give away plugins for free, but some suggest using the native software built by Resolume (which costs $400) of which you can use the compiled patches for free, and this is an issue for you?

It just seems you haven't spent enough with the software to fully understand the capabilities or understand how to accomplish what you want with it.

If you're so into using NDI for absolutely everything, use something built around the technology or build your own bespoke system to handle it the way you want, instead of having a software built around a completely different technology be your main focus. Newtek has CUSTOM capture boards in the PCs they provide, which is all built around the technologies they developed. Resolume doesn't do hardware, at all, so they can't build for a specific set of instructions.

I myself use a handful of different tools and technologies for each individual aspect of the installation, often the best tools for the job (instead of constantly banging head against wall trying to make things work correctly).

NDI is a great step in the right direction but it's not ready for live yet. I still have a prototype NDI-PTZ from Newtek that works great, I've managed to get delay down to 160ms (using testcards with timecode, high speed cameras and massive amount of tweaking network settings), which is great in terms of networking and speed in a post production environment, but in a live setting it sucks.

Accusing random people you know nothing about of being on drugs all the time is a great way to get peoples help though. 90% of the people I deal with in the industry are actually pretty sober, especially in the places I work where people are drug tested before getting the job