Where to start with controlling LED strips through Resolume

Bro, does your rig even lift?
demonknight
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Where to start with controlling LED strips through Resolume

Post by demonknight »

Hello,
I really need some help here and guidance on where to start with controlling LED strips through Resolume arena 5. I am seeing this being accomplished with either a Arduino uno, or raspberry pi. (or whatever else can accomplish this task effectively and inexpensively)
I am a complete beginner on this subject BTW, and while I see this being done on elsewhere on YouTube I have not stumbled across any good in depth tutorials on where to start that aren't completely overwhelming, and or over complicated.
I am seeing this article and it appears that in order to communicate with the led strips I may be required to use a DMX output device such as the "Enttec Open DMX USB
Are there work arounds to accoumplishing this communication without a DMX device?
I need to know if this is required and or a what other inexpensive & compatable dmx devices for my particular application are needed. (if need be I am required to use a dmx output device)

Inevitably I would like to create a fully controllable yet simple "led dj facade" and perhaps some wifi
controlled led wearable clothing, or these fans that I could also control when I vj through Resolume.

phpBB [video]

Any advice or direction would be greatly helpful. Thank you in advance ;)
Attachments
LED dj fACADE eXAMPLE (2).jpg
LED dj fACADE eXAMPLE (2).jpg (38.08 KiB) Viewed 37656 times

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: Where to start with controlling LED strips through Resol

Post by Joris »

Your best bet is to use DMX and Artnet, because the protocol is well established, easy to use and natively supported in Resolume.

Here's a bunch of multi-universe Artnet LED controllers: http://nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/. These will allow you to send video to over 5000 RGB LEDs for around $200.

There are alternatives to Artnet, like Pixelpusher and Fadecandy. They're usually cheaper. Since these all use their own different protocol, they would require some way of Syphoning/Spouting your way out of Resolume and translating the video to the protocol that's needed. For instance, the PixelPusher comes with a Processing sketch that can take a Syphon input and sends data to the controller. The same goes for if you want to hack your own solution using an Arduino or a Teensy.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

You might also want to take a look at Enttec's LED drivers especially the new Pixelator Mini which will let you drive 2720 RGB pixels (which take 8,160 channels) in combination with the Plink modules. It's a lot more expensive than what Joris but it's a great option as well especially on commercial projects.

demonknight

Post by demonknight »

Thanks for the quick replies guys much appreciated! I've been busy researching options here and I am coming down to a few. I really like the Teensy 3.2 USB Development Board with the OctoWS2811 Adaptor. People are doing some pretty cool stuff with them, but it may be a bit complicated for a first build for me.

I am still unsure what route I want to take but I do want to utilize full pixel control, and have at least one dmx512 output on board for additional stage lighting. It is looking like something along the lines of the AlphaPix 4 V2, or the AlphaPix 16 v2 may be a good option for me. It seems from what I've read I will need a Ethernet Network Switch as well to go this route?
Ok here's a question and where I'm getting a bit confused...
I am going to use the AlphaPix controller again for example... The AlphaPix 16 v2, and the AlphaPix 4 v2 don't appear to need something like like the (Enttec usb pro) to communicate with the PC Is this correct? Just an ethernet cable and a ethernet network switch instead of a dmx dongle, or dmx controller? I am still a bit confused on this subject, but as far as I am understanding the Enttec usb pro is strictly for DMX out to lighting fixtures, and Dumb RGB DMX Controller, and not needed on a smart pixel board?
Do any of you have any personal experience with any of the controllers on www.nutcracker123.com/nutcracker/rgb_controllers/ ?
This seems to be the most versatile, and cost effective solution I have found, but I am open to any suggestions..
Thanks again for your responses and looking forward to any and all help, or replies!! 8-)

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

The Enttec USB Pro and other USB to DMX interfaces use USB to connect to your computer.
Pros:
Setup is relatively straightforward.
Cons:
They're limited to one or two universes per USB port.
Using them with USB hubs is problematic, so getting more than 6 universes is usually a no-go.
Drivers are proprietary, so updates can cause issues.

Artnet interfaces use a regular TCP/IP connection to connect to your computer. This means you can use a regular ethernet cable. If you're daring you can even use wifi.
Pros:
Up to 16 universes per interface. When you're doing anything serious with LED strips, this is a big, big plus.
Uses TCP/IP , which is the standard that the friggin' Internet runs on. That's about as universal support as you can get.
Cons:
Setup can be a bit of a black box. If you don't get a signal, it's hard to diagnose where the problem is.

USB to DMX dongles are great to get your feet wet, but when you're doing anything serious with DMX, Artnet is really the way to go.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Joris wrote: If you're daring you can even use wifi.
Only if you like unpredictable results!
Joris wrote:Up to 16 universes per interface.
Up to 48 universes: http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70060
Joris wrote:USB to DMX dongles are great to get your feet wet, but when you're doing anything serious with DMX, Artnet is really the way to go.
I think the Enttec ODE is really a great way to get your feet wet since you can start working with Artnet (hence network settings) but it still uses DMX.

Let me contradict myself about the WIFI comment, I actually use the Enttec ODE connected to an Apple Airport Express to control lighting rigs on a lot of small shows and it seems to work fine!

demonknight

Post by demonknight »

Hello again, and thank you for the quick responses!
OK we are getting somewhere... Now Oaktown.. If I am going to use the AlphaPix 16 would I still need something like the Enttec ODE? From what I am understanding the AlphaPix 16 is an Artnet controller, and it directly comminucates with the PC. Is it still nessessary to use the Enttec ODE with this device? This is where I'm losing ya.
Check this out from the Holidaycoro site this is the info on the AlphaPix 16
"Data Input"
E1.31 / sCAN (over TCP/IP over Ethernet)
Unicast: 32 DMX Universes
ArtNet (over TCP/IP over Ethernet)
Unicast: 32 DMX Universes
Hardware Data Outputs
16 SPI (pixel) Outputs
Overall - Maximum of 5,440 Pixels or 32 Universes / 16,384 DMX Channels
Per Output - Up to 340 pixels / 2 DMX universes (exclusive of power, see chart below)
RS485 Outputs
Overall - Maximum of 1,536 DMX Channels
Three individual RS485 ports - one DMX universe per port
RS485 ports do not "use up" SPI outputs / not shared with SPI outputs the Alphapix
(again this is only an example controller if anyone has expreiance with any of the controllers on the nutcracker123 site that was linked above please send me reccomendatons.)
Now..
Would I be able to solely run this AlphaPix to connect a number of Led strips WS2811 for example as well as DMX OUT to some spots ect?

(Think I am going to ask this to the support person at Holidaycoro as well.)
And P.S. IMHO It looks to me that the Enttec Pixelator is just a fancy way to get 2k out of someones wallet when something like this does it somewhat in the ballpark for $200 minus the pretty case.
Don't get me wrong I am all about top performance, and I am sure the Enttec Pixelator is awesome, but I want to do it as inexpensively as possible, as my budget does not permit thousands of dollars to achieve this right now. I am just a regular guy getting into the business trying to start out with some decent gear, so if I can cut some corners that would be awesome.
Thanks again guys looking forward to your responses!

Joris

Post by Joris »

The Alphapix doesn't need any other devices.

The Alphapix only controls pixelstrips. You'd need a different controller to control moving lights or spots.

The Pixelator is aimed at professionals, the Alphapix is aimed at tinkerers.

If you don't mind getting your hands dirty making a custom box, figuring out how to power it, have a good solder hand, have weeks to prepare for a show and generally have more time than money, you get the Alphapix.

If you're on a job where you need an Artnet controller this Friday, in a solid casing, that you can take out of its box and plug and play straight away, and when you're done, throw in the back of a van and drive to the next job, you get the Pixelator.

Tinker boxes like the Alphapix are a lot of fun to play around with. After you experience the stress of dealing with the inevitable problems that all DIY projects always have for the 100th time, while at the same time dealing with 100 other things that also go wrong during setup for a big show, the extra money for a Pixelator starts to sound like a good investment. Mostly in your mental health.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

demonknight wrote:And P.S. IMHO It looks to me that the Enttec Pixelator is just a fancy way to get 2k out of someones wallet when something like this does it somewhat in the ballpark for $200 minus the pretty case.
A few add'l notes to add to what Joris said:
- In addition to the $2000 you still need to buy up to 24 P-link which would cost an add'l $1,200 but can mix and match voltage (5V, 12V & 24V)
- Enttec released the Pixelator Mini a few weeks ago but I don't think it comes up on their website unless you have the link: http://www.enttec.com/?main_menu=Products&pn=70066. It costs $800.
- A cheaper alternative would be the Pixie Driver which comes in various versions (65W or 130W and 5V, 12V or 24V)
demonknight wrote:Is it still nessessary to use the Enttec ODE with this device? This is where I'm losing ya.
The Enttec ODE is Ethernet (Artnet) to DMX or DMX to Ethernet (Artnet) and you can use it either way but it's one universe only. Pixel controllers are Artnet to Data (or Data/Clock) and you need to inject power

gradek
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: Where to start with controlling LED strips through Resolume

Post by gradek »

A bit late to the conversation here, but if you want to just start experimenting with LED strips. The Enttec Pixie Driver works native with Resolume via USB. You can skip the DMX controller. Having a DMX controller is handy since it allows for longer distances from computer to LED strip, however if you want to play around and are ok with a USB cable distance then it works out great.

Enttec Pixie Driver:
http://www.enttec.com/index.php?main_me ... s&pn=73540
Want to map LED rings with Resolume? Then look no further: https://goo.gl/f2dPGu