Radeon Tweaks For Performance

Bro, does your rig even lift?
ppagano@howardcc.edu
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Radeon Tweaks For Performance

Post by ppagano@howardcc.edu »

Hi
I think this is my first post here. Long time projection designer been using Isadora/VDMX/Resolume/Jitter for live performance, theatre rock and dance and i have for this semester two projects updating or tweaking a Radeon Rx 580 card for a design in a Windows environment and an algorithmic film project with Jitter/M4L both projects will use resolume and so it seems AMD is landing the contracts and Nvidia is 2nd fiddle for a while? Anyway I was interested to hear if others who are playing with the Radeon chips for any boosts with Resolume? Any tweaks that folks can share for improved perf or if there are some older threads to plunder please point me!

Thank you

firstodd

Re: Radeon Tweaks For Performance

Post by firstodd »

Interested in the same thing!

Fighting with poor performance on a brand new HP Z machine with a AMD Radeon Pro WX 9100 .

Specs wise that card should fly and be a breeze, but it's been slowing down to below 60 fps (often 20-30 fps) without much of anything applied.

We're outputting 2 UHD screens on the card, and 1 1080p monitor for GUI. So, originally the comp was 8K (composed of those 2 UHD outputs) but we reduced to 4K comp just to speed things up (it's still not great).

GPU is often 90%+ use. 2-3 layers at a time of mixed DVX and/or ProRes material. CPU never is maxed, tons of RAM and GPU RAM available at all times. Everything is running off an insanely fast internal M.2 SSD Raid.

Any tips, anyone experience with this kind of thing? We're used to using a similar system that's almost 7-8 years old and has an old mid-range Quadro in it running a 3.2K or so output, and the performance on that is strikingly better.

Thoughts?

:ugeek: :mrgreen:

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Hard to say,
you could try to switch off DMA textures in the Resolume video preferences. Maybe that helps a bit.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

firstodd

Post by firstodd »

Zolt - yes, I have DMA texture turned off, read that on one of the threads here that I found. If it helped it may have only been a couple fps, nothing significant.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Is this about the same issue you posted here? http://resolume.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=82440#p82440
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

firstodd

Post by firstodd »

It's a related issue, yes. We're having overall performance struggles with the AMD card, however the "30 fps cap" seems to be something else. I now am thinking it's the AOTO video wall's processing bugging out and forcing the inputs to be 30. But it's weird because all the Windows settings reports the connected displays are running at 60 Hz. It's been a headache. When it starts to work it is seemingly random and hard to reproduce the problem or solution. Ugh! :mrgreen: w