Met Resolume in a bar the other day

12 projectors mapping with 3 x nvidia P620

Post by Finnfinjaa »

Can i use?

Cpu : i9-11900
Gpu : 3x P620
Ram : 128
SSD : 1TB

For blending 12 projectors. (Monitor on board)

kevin
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: 12 projectors mapping with 3 x nvidia P620

Post by kevin »

Hi,
How about the resolution? i think with 12 projectors it very big, if all fullHD, I estimate around 18K x 1080 or smaller so with GUI is onboard impossible because resolume use GUI (monitor) for rendering.
I suggestion if you want use Quadro so testing with RTX4000 or 5000 for GUI, extend output is RTX4000 or P620 also OK (cheaper you can use gaming GPU) and Datapath FX4 or Matrox for splitter from 4K source to 4 fullHD.
Hope it can help.

resolumejunkie
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by resolumejunkie »

Much more attention should be paid to the potential of using NDI for many, many outputs from Resolume. In particular, since the forthcoming NDI 5 SDK supports IP-based genlock, the lack of which I would say was a deterrent for using NDI output for projection mapping, due to the tendency of when that many outputs (8-12), the statistical probability is that 1 of the 12 is going to periodically be one frame off from the others, because the V-SYNC is not genlocked. Whereas, with IP-based genlock, theoretically, that could no longer be a problem in the near future. We'll see.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Genlock doesn't prevent tearing.
You will need sync'd output's sharing the same clock source, which is why Quadro cards are great for multiple outputs sharing the same raster vs a GeForce card.

With NDI you now have to introduce your NIC, and infrastructure, in theory this may work one day, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Also, NDI has worked without dropouts for me on about 60% of my shows, I've had it complete just stop working on a LOT of my shows, it's something I may consider for a studio environment (where latency isn't an issue) but I wouldn't trust it for anything touring related ;)

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

A lot of projectors have 3G-SDI inputs, if these screen are independent from each other the tearing won't be an issue, and using something like a AJA Corvid-88 might be a cheap option for getting signal to your projectors?

But since you're trying to do blending a Quado RTX8000 and 4 Datapath FX4's would be a good setup to look at, if your projectors have 3G-SDI then get the SDI flavor of FX4 :)

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 22:56 Genlock doesn't prevent tearing.
Genlock that controls the V-SYNC refresh rate on custom hardware certainly can prevent tearing. But, agreed, genlock in itself is just genlock. It's using that genlock for other things where it starts to become very, very, very interesting. I also come at this from the perspective of having bespoke software made in my line of work and am privy to what developers can do with genlock and custom playback software on various kinds of hardware that allow the V-SYNC interval to be controlled the way I am describing. At least, we think it can! TBD. :D

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Well in current systems, you can bring genlock into your machine via SDI, but it won't affect your GPU as that has it's own clock.

Genlock is great for camera's and LED walls to help prevent rolling shutter.

But at the end of the day your output ports will need to share the same clock and you'll need a Quadro for that.

In theory NDI could do this over IP, but it still comes back to how good of a network and network interfaces you have. I couldn't get NDI to transmit 50' from laptop to laptop in my XR studio a few months back without dropping out 10 times over a 5 hour stream. (Hardwired into a gigabit network with only those 2 devices on it, all static IPs). TBD but I think it's a few years away from getting there. Exciting though :)

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 23:11 I think it's a few years away from getting there. Exciting though :)
NDI 5 SDK with IP-based genlock becomes available before end of June 2021.

It's probably closer than we think. Which is awesome!

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Just because it's released doesn't mean it's a usable solution. Still a lot of tweaking to be done to make it stable. (I've been beta testing their Newteks stuff for a while now)

resolumejunkie

Post by resolumejunkie »

Arvol wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 23:15 Just because it's released doesn't mean it's a usable solution. Still a lot of tweaking to be done to make it stable. (I've been beta testing their Newteks stuff for a while now)
With money behind it, anything can happen. : )