the Best Codec for Best Result ??

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
prokium
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

the Best Codec for Best Result ??

Post by prokium »

Hello,

i have sequences that are stroboscopic (frame with something frame without anything )
i use Microsoft DV codec right now .. but when i play a sequence or if i scrub it into resolume .. it drop alot of frames ... maybe 1 frame of 2 is dropped.. and then sometimes it playa movie without anything because my sequences have many black frames and few frames with content (because the Stroboscopic effect)

THen , my question is ... there is a codec that keep the quality of my sequences and work fine with resolume and dont drop frames when playing or scrubbing ??

i use Resolume 2 beta and a Laptop 3.06Ghz with 512Mb Ram and a Geforce FX 5600

if someone can advise me for codecs that work better with resolume :)

/Prokium

BlackBuda
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by BlackBuda »

Hi Prokium.

I suggest to you, use Sony Vegas 5 to edit and convert any video with these settings:

Audio: None
Video: 29.970 fps;320x240x24b - Codec: Cinepack

I like to use 320x240, cause i think that´s a world standard.

On the RESOLUME manual U´ll find:
-------------------------------------------------------
Preparing media

Although resolume plays mpg and mov files, for the best playback result of movies you should use the avi file format encoded with the Cinepak, Indeo or MJPEG codec.

Export settings:

Codec: Cinepak, Indeo 5.1 or MJPEG

Audio: disabled

Key frame every 1 frame

Quality: 100%

Resolution: 400x300

If the source footage is larger then 400x300

Deinterlace: on

Better resize: on

You should render every frame a keyframe if you want to play your files backward or if you do a lot of scratching. Rendering every frame a key frame reduces seek time so that the forwards and backwards playback speed is the same and that scratching will be faster.
------------------------------------------------------
Use only key frame every keyframe if U really will scratch the video, I don´t use all videos to scratch...

cat
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by cat »

Try Picvideo Mjpeg, I run full res Mjpg, i get 2 layers with out frame drops (mostly) some FX too. I think cinepak (esp at 320 )looks absolutely horrible, but I tend to have gradients in colours quite a lot, which definately doesnt suit cinepak. Indeo 5 isn't that bad either.