midi controller for multiple programs at once?

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
ghosttrain
Is taking Resolume on a second date

midi controller for multiple programs at once?

Post by ghosttrain »

If I have a USB connected MIDI controller and want both Resolume and another program (musical like Ableton or FL Studio, or laser show software like Phoenix) to be controlled by it at the same time, what option do I have? For example, I want a fader to both control the opacity of a video projector and my laser projectors.
As I understand midi is only a two way communication? I guess if there is no easy way I need something like a midi splitter, but the connection port of the midi device is usb.
So what options do I have?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Re: midi controller for multiple programs at once?

Post by Oaktown »

MIDI equipment will usually have three midi ports: IN, THROUGH and OUT

If you are using MIDI over USB, get some USB to MIDI cables and an MIDI splitter (1 in/2 or more out).

ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

So please let me know if I understood the setup:

1) mini-USB port of the midi controller connected to a usb to midi cable.
2) usb to midi cable connected to a midi splitter
3) two midi to usb cables connected to the midi splitter
4) the other ends of the above cables (the usb ends) connected to the PC

Did I get it?

PS. Just for learning: the THROUGH port of midi equipment, is it sort of like daisy chaining in DMX?

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

#1 is not right. You want to connect MIDI OUT to the MIDI splitter with a MIDI cable.

If your controller doesn't have MIDI ports, I'm not sure how you can split the MIDI USB.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

are you running your softwares on one machine or multiple machines?
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Oaktown wrote:f your controller doesn't have MIDI ports, I'm not sure how you can split the MIDI USB.
Like I said the connection port of my midi device is usb. no it doesnt have other ports.
Last edited by ghosttrain on Wed Mar 02, 2016 23:35, edited 1 time in total.

ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

ravensc wrote:are you running your softwares on one machine or multiple machines?
Same machine. There's one usb port on the controller and one usb cable connecting it to a pc.

Oaktown
Resolume honorary member

Post by Oaktown »

Sorry, I totally misunderstood your needs and thought you were using two computers. As far as I understand, you shouldn't have any problems assigning some controls of your controller to Resolume and some to the other software such as Ableton.

The one thing you want to be careful about is make sure you don't assign a control to both softwares by accident or it'll get confusing.

ghosttrain

Post by ghosttrain »

Well it doesnt work. When assigned as midi input in one software the other says the midi device is in use by another program and doesnt allow to choose it, hence my question.

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Post by Joris »

On Mac OSX, it's pretty straightforward. Multiple applications can access a midi controller at the same time. Both Resolume and the other app can have midi input enabled, both will listen and respond. You might just want to make sure only one sends back feedback.

On a PC, things are a bit more difficult. Apps cannot share a controller, so you will have to use a midi routing application like Bomes. You can create virtual midi outputs in Bomes, and you can forward incoming midi data to multiple virtual outputs. So your controller would send midi data to Bomes, and Bomes will forward this to two virtual outputs. Resolume will then listen to one virtual output, and the other app to the other.