OSC deck switch with column trigger

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
basicmonkey
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

OSC deck switch with column trigger

Post by basicmonkey »

When sending an OSC bundle with a deck switch message followed by a column trigger, can Arena please sequence these items so that the deck switches first and then the column fires.

At present, if I send a bundle with a deck switch and column trigger (in that order) then sometimes the column is triggered from the current deck and sometimes from the new deck.

If sending these as separate messages then there would be no expectation of dependancy on the previous message (without using feedback). If sending as an OSC bundle then I'd want them to happen in order.

This is useful when remote triggering a composition with a few decks where you want to be able to fire any column on any deck. This concept does work if you put an arbitrary wait between a deck switch and column trigger but it's not guaranteed. Arbitrary waits are not accurate and add delay in firing a video which is often required to be a quick thing!

Many thanks,

James

boris.lema
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: OSC deck switch with column trigger

Post by boris.lema »

I dont know if you can but you should delay the column trigger. It depends on the size of the deck that is triggered. The loading of a new deck can take some time depending on the amount of clips that have to be loaded.
In companion you can delay the triggers so that your deck can load first and than triggers the column after x amount of time.

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, setting up a delay is needed. Deck switches are VERY memory heavy and can cause delays. I personally have decks that take over 90 seconds to load

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

If you listen to OSC deck select and selected messages, you can figure out when a deck switch ends.

But the easy solution would be to put clips you need to trigger in fast succession into one deck, and if you have more time between clip triggers, place those clips to another deck.

Queuing messages would mean Resolume could try to refer to objects which don't exist yet, or won't exist at all. Also having lots of objects which exist like layers and playing clips.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

What happens if you remove decks and just have a super long composition with a ton of columns? Are decks really needed?

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

People like organizing things, so yes, decks are quite useful.

Handling lots of clip slots, like a huge decks will take longer, and actions on the deck will also take longer because of the amount of data that needs to be reworked.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

Yeah, I have about 2TB of content I have in my master deck, switching between decks would take about 15 -20 seconds, so that wasn't great during live performances, so I moved to one massive deck that takes about 90 seconds to load, BUT, it only has to load once and then the rest of the day I'm good to go (sometimes 12 hour days, no more loading times :) )