Composition not loading

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
LuxLutios
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Composition not loading

Post by LuxLutios »

Hi all.

Without any particular reason, suddenly I cannot load my composition any more.
After booting up the pc and starting Arena 7, the example composition opened and also the "open recent" section is empty. When I try to open my composition manually nothing happens. All other compositions seem to work, just not the one that I actually need. Also on other computers it cannot be opened. Trying to open it directly without Arena running, resolume starts, but opens up the las project that was opened.

It would be really great to restore the Project, since there are some settings I would not wish to loose.
And yes, I have made a backup, but it is too old unfortunately.

Thanks!

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: Composition not loading

Post by Zoltán »

Sounds like both your composition and the config file might be broken
We've seen composition and data corruption when the file save could not finish with unclean OS shutdowns, like power loss, or blue screen crash.
There are a few cases we know where this can happen. Once Resolume passed the data to the OS, it's up to the OS to write the data from the disk cache RAM to the disk. Then once the disk got it, it stays in the disk's buffer till it gets written.
SSD-s work in a way that if they want to write data, they have to erase full blocks first, parts of which could belong to other files. The SSD reads the block into internal cache, and then if the SSD loses power in such a write attempt, the cache is lost and you might see data corruption in files which you have not touched yourself.

Composition files are xml, so if you open them up in a text editor, you should see readable text there.
Look for the last <Clip name... tag which has no </Clip> counterpart later, and remove that section.
then add a </Deck> and </Composition> tag to the end of the file, and save it under a new name.
It should open up now in Resolume with part of your data at least.
And please use a UPS!
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

LuxLutios
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Composition not loading

Post by LuxLutios »

Hi, and thanks for responding.

I cannot remember a situation where the file could not be saved properly due to power loss.
The whole thing happened suddenly. I was working on that specific composition already for hours that day. Then I had to restart the PC for some other reason, but I definitely closed resolume completely AND saved the file before restarting the PC. After the restart I could not open it any more...

Anyway, somehow the file indeed seemed to be saved incompletely. Opening in Notepad++ actually showed that some lines were missing. After following your instructions I can open the composition again.
Thank you so much for that!!

Thanks a lot!

Lux