Clip timeline SPEED lock

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
Phlux
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Clip timeline SPEED lock

Post by Phlux »

There are many places within Arena to CHANGE the playback speed of a clip, but no button anywhere to ensure PREVENTION of playback speed change.
As a workaround, I have made custom flat-line 'envelopes' on speed change parameters where possible: atop 'Composition' section, and 'Group' sections. However, I am unable to use the same workaround on the 'Layer' transport section, and most importantly on the specific clip itself, which should be able to override all of the above, so as not to be forcing users to write off those controls.
As an additional workaround, I have HIDDEN the Layer Transport section, but there is still the possibility that the Speed handle in the Clip Transport section could be nudged, and mess up a show that relies on it for audio. The current "Lock" feature doesn't solve this.
If I'm missing something, please advise. Otherwise please address.
Thanks,
Christian

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Clip timeline SPEED lock

Post by Arvol »

I didn't know this (speed changes the user didn't want) was a problem for people ;)

Phlux

Post by Phlux »

Inadvertently changing the speed of something designed to go at a specific speed is indeed a problem.

Current Resolume "lock" is weak. It's like the kind you could cut with one of these:
youde-mini-cutter-pliers.jpg
youde-mini-cutter-pliers.jpg (9.38 KiB) Viewed 7251 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Moved to feature requests ;)

For now, if you touch the speed, you can right click the slider to have it returned to nominal.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Phlux

Post by Phlux »

I'm aware of the 'right-click-to-return-to-nominal' feature, but my life will already have been ruined by then! 😄
Thanks for moving to feature requests.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

How is the speed getting changed? I've never seen speed get accidentally changed before.

Phlux

Post by Phlux »

You’ve never seen a parameter in a position you didn’t expect and not know how it got there? It’s probably how a third of the posts in this forum start.
Could be an old MIDI map after switching controllers; or PORTS; or you accidentally click when you’re moving the cursor around; or you intend to adjust the speed of something else, not realizing it isn’t the clip you thought it was because the thumbnail is similar. I had a clip going super fast and realized that the group speed channel had somehow gone up, even though I had it hidden.

You can imply that I’m incompetent for potentially making such mistakes, but your question is beside the point: Which is that it CAN happen, and if you’re doing an important show, that possibility should be as low as possible. Having four different places where the speed can be changed, and with no locking feature, fails to do this.

Arvol

Post by Arvol »

No never seen this happen from myself or thousands of video guys coming through my shows. Not saying it doesn't happen but this is a first for me. You have to really try to accidentally change a parameter. Old MIDI mappings would make sense on the "how" I guess.

Not saying it's a bad request, just something I've never seen in over 15 years of production so it's just a first for me ;)

I've had old MIDI mapping happen in the past, You quickly realize that as soon as it happens so a quick close/re-open solves putting everything back to normal for me and then just changing your MIDI settings to the correct mapping.

+1 for a general param lock. Could be useful. Having the option to have a lock option right under the automation settings for said param.

Phlux

Post by Phlux »

Not interested in dealing with it when it might happen.
I would have the lock disable the whole transport section of the clip. Would probably be quicker for developers.

Intange
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by Intange »

I agree, this would be great to have. There are too many places to change the speed of a clip. A lock would be great. Ive been hosed by this. I guess ive touched the speed fader by mistake and didnt notice it.