Wire signal-flow / bypass control

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
najork
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Wire signal-flow / bypass control

Post by najork »

Hello,
Fairly new to Wire (7.13.1). It's quite intuitive, but I'm wondering if I'm handling the logic properly.

I am using switches to select between variations within an effect. For example, in a feedback effect I have switches that select from different mixers with different opacity modes. The problem is that it seems like all the nodes leading into the switch are being processed, not just the one selected output. I have a utility monitoring GPU usage, and the additional mixer nodes multiply the usage. If I hit bypass on the extra mixers, the GPU goes back down, same as if i deleted those nodes.

Is there a better way of handling the logic? Something upstream from the branching?
The tutorial made it sound like switches should prevent unneeded processing, but maybe I misunderstood.
It didn't seem like gate nodes behaved differently, but I could have missed some detail.
There's no way to bypass a node from within Resolume, right?

Thanks

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Wire signal-flow / bypass control

Post by Arvol »

I believe in the future when something is bypassed, all nodes leading up to it will be bypassed as well. For now, if you have UI elements I would suggest using those in accordance with a Less node to toggle other node's bypass functions, so if a slider is under 0.1 the less node would return a true and that would be connected to the bypass param on other nodes.

najork
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by najork »

Thank you for the reply.
Arvol wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 22:48 ...and that would be connected to the bypass param on other nodes.
Are there any nodes where I am able to connect to the bypass parameter?

edit; I just realized the bypass inlets are hidden, but can be revealed! Thank you for leading me to that!

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

najork wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 23:18 Thank you for the reply.
Arvol wrote: Tue Dec 06, 2022 22:48 ...and that would be connected to the bypass param on other nodes.
Are there any nodes where I am able to connect to the bypass parameter?

edit; I just realized the bypass inlets are hidden, but can be revealed! Thank you for leading me to that!
Sorry, Yeah, I should have mentioned that the Bypass inlet is hidden by default.