Play clips at random location but at fixed length?

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
LarsDaniel
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Play clips at random location but at fixed length?

Post by LarsDaniel »

Hi all! Newbie here.

I would like to load e.g. five video clips in five columns and have them playing at random AND at random locations in the clips. This I have already been able to do, however when I set autopilot to random, it only moves to next clip when a clip has played its last frame, and when the clip itself plays at random, it can take a long time before it happens to play the very last part that enables moving to the next clip.
So what I am looking for is a way to set a fixed (or maximum) length for the clips, so I can have random clips playing at random play positions, but forcing clip change at e.g. max one bar per clip.

Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks!

MethodVisual
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Play clips at random location but at fixed length?

Post by MethodVisual »

I think you’re describing the same thing I want to do - cut rapidly between clips on a layer (eg. 0.5 second intervals) without the full length of each clip needing to be played. It would be cool if the clip autopilot settings for videos allowed you to choose between loop count and a ‘duration’ mode (i.e. seconds, as per still images). In this duration mode it would also be useful to have a choice between restart, continue and random for each time the autopilot cycles back to the clip.

I assume one way to achieve this kind of effect would be to shorten/trim each clip down to the desired length using the transport start & end sliders. However, this would mean the same part of the clip gets played each time the Autopilot triggers it. I’d prefer a different / random short section of the clip to be played each time the clip is triggered.

Looking forward to hearing if anyone knows a technique for this. I wondered if the Chaser plug-in is capable of doing it, but the videos and documentation I’ve seen so far suggest that it works only on output slices, not clips.