Newb Question

Just let it all out, buddy. You're among friends here.
jgould1124
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Newb Question

Post by jgould1124 »

Hello,

Apologies in advance if this has been asked and answered before. I did use the search for all the forums and couldn't find an answer. And, additional apologies if this is long winded as I want to include as many details as possible.

I am very new to video and I'm trying to use Timecode to trigger video playback from one Macbook Pro to the other for a live performance for my band. We have put together a Logic Pro session for our live show with a Timecode track that will be used to trigger video playback in Arena.

I've been able to sync the laptops and the video clips start and stop in time, but, from what I can see, all of the clips need to be in the same column in order to "hear" the timecode.

Originally, I had the second song video clip in a different column and the screen went to black despite Arena continuing to "hear" the timecode of the new song.

When I manually switch to Column 2, the second clip plays perfectly in time, but when I rewind to the beginning of the audio session, the screen goes to black when the first timecode clip plays.

So, long story short, is there a way to trigger Arena to switch columns from my playback session or does that have to be done manually in Arena? Or, do I have to put all of the clips in one column and use the offset time to trigger them in time with the playback? I won't be doing an "live" VJing, so it will merely be used to playback the clips.

Hopefully this makes sense.
Thanks in advance,

JIM
Specs:
(2) Macbook Pro (OS10.13.6) running Logic ProX, Scarlett 2i2, Resolume Arena demo (for now)

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Newb Question

Post by Arvol »

Resolume can sync the playhead to LTC but Resolume does note trigger from LTC. I wrote this program:
https://pixelparty.gumroad.com/l/trigge ... ixel_party
To do that. Zoltan also has an app that does the same:
http://palffyzoltan.hu/?url=controller&src=signature
Or, you could have Logic send out a midi trigger to play a clip or column and then have that clip listen to LTC. Set both machines to use the same MIDI input via splitter or use OSC to both machines.

jgould1124

Post by jgould1124 »

Hey.

Thanks for the reply..

Like I said, I've very new to all of this, so I'll have to do some research as to what your referring to.
But, it sounds like what I'd like to do can be done.

I'll just have to figure it out..

Thanks,

JIM

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Connect logic pro playback machine to the Resolume playbacl machine via ethernet.
You can look for an app called copperlan. put that on both machines.
Copperlan will show up as a midi device in both machines now. Have logic send a midi command out to trigger the clip, then play the clip. have that midi note trigger a clip in resolume and then have the playhead listen to LTC via audio interface. that would be the quickest way to do it. (and free)

jgould1124

Post by jgould1124 »

Ok.

Thanks for the information.

With my limited knowledge, that seems a little easier to figure out.

I give it a try.

Thanks,

JIM