Search: Webcam to Midi or OSC

FFGL, OSC, GLSL. If you like abbreviations, this is the forum for you
cosmowe
Knows Resolume better than the devs

Search: Webcam to Midi or OSC

Post by cosmowe »

Hey guys,
I am searching a tool which let me generate midi messages from a webcam feed. Ideal would be if a person is recognized a CC Change message gets send. >> When the person gets bigger (comes closer to cam) the value increases. But thats only the ideal feature set.

I've tried "pmidic" and "HandPose OSC" already. pmidic seems not to work anymore, and HandPose OSC seems not reliable enough. I know that touchdesigner can also do something like that - But I'm not deep enough into TD.

So..maybe one of you nerds knows a tool/solution which could do the job.

Best wishes
cosmowe

//EDIT:
Ah, and it has to be something to work with a normal webcam.
Image Do you like outlines? Easy Outliner on Juicebar

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Re: Search: Webcam to Midi or OSC

Post by Arvol »

Super simple in TD (Like 3 min of work). I would buy a used Kinect and just use the internal params it sends out, rename the params you want and send them out to OSC or MIDI in your case (OSC always gets my vote).

If you get a gen1 Kinect, be sure not to connect it to a USB3 port/hub as they only work on USB2.0. Also not sure if latest Win supports drivers for them. The newer Kinects and Azures just work but are a little bit more $$.

To use a webcame you would have to fake a depth mask, Kinects just work out of th box. :)

Here's how the patch would look (and if you look to the left, those are all of your options to track from the Kinect.):

{You might right click the image and open in new tab to see the full size}

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

Thanks Arvol, I should have guessed that someone make a Kinect suggestion....

But like I said, in that special case it has to be a normal webcam.....

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Then you'll need some additional processing to fake a depth mask and then use the values from that to drive your output logic.

cosmowe

Post by cosmowe »

When I do it by myself.......and when I want to do it based on 3D movement. Another way is to use face recognition. Set a square around the face.... and when the face comes closer to the cam the square get s bigger....and i do receive some values to work with.

...but... before I do it myself... I just asked if somebody knows an existing tool which works with a webcam.
For example like "HandPose OSC" ...which is pretty neat... but sadly not stable.