12 projector setup help

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
RPWILLIAM
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

12 projector setup help

Post by RPWILLIAM »

Hi,

I've been trying to get a 12 projector setup going today and i'm having issues getting windows to recognise the required resolutions to make it work.

I have

- Projectors are WXGA 1280x800 x12
- I have x3 Fx4 controllers
- I have a powerful PC with x2 RTX 3080 cards with latest drivers

So far I have tried

- DP from the computer to Fx4 1
- Then DP loop out from 1 to 2 and 2 to 3. The supplied USB goes into Fx4 1.
- I have DP output to back of projector HDMI

I had some issues with the resolutions in wall manager but eventually managed to get that aligned from 1920x1080 the Fx4 was expecting to the 1280x800 res, the devices can see the three Fx4's and the projectors are green to confirm connected.

In the Nvidia resolution settings, it was only seeing the 1 Fx4 at 1280x800 resolution, when I tried to create
a custom one, it just killed the machine. Resolume only saw my working monitor (a LG 4k monitor to work on) and the single Fx4 at the small res.

I then tried removing the loop out and inputting the Fx4's equally between the two cards, there was some progress here as windows now understood the 3 Fx4's but it only registered two of them at the 4k res and kept one at 1920x1080, when I tried to force this it didn't like it either.

There must be something fundamental I'm not doing for this not to work but I can't see it? Can anyone help?

Thanks

RP

Scratchpole
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Re: 12 projector setup help

Post by Scratchpole »

I'm going to assume you want to have different images on all 12 projectors.
That should be possible using only one of your GPU's and 3 outputs to your FX4's. (Using only one GPU is recommended for Resolume performance).

You need to tell the FX4's what you want them to do: input resolution, how to split the image and output resolutions.
Hook one up to your PC with signal and usb then fire up Wall Designer....
I assume you want four equal sized outputs of 1280 x 800 and 2560 x 1600 input (4x1280x800 split into equal quarters).
Add four projectors at the resolution you want, click on four cells, add outputs to wall.
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 23.43.17.png
Create Input at desired overall resolution:
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 23.43.28.png
Configure device, apply settings:
Screenshot 2023-01-25 at 23.57.02.png
Save your layout.
Repeat for 2nd and 3rd FX4's one by one, by loading the same .wdl file that you just saved.
Then plug them all in and restart your computer.
I don't have an FX4 with me so I hope I've got this all in the correct order. Fingers crosssed that should get you there or close enough.

Beware Displayport cables can be a bit rubbish and are only designed to run short distances.

RPWILLIAM
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: 12 projector setup help

Post by RPWILLIAM »

This was a great help thank you.