Option to choose which Network adapter OSC uses

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
nmugnaini
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Option to choose which Network adapter OSC uses

Post by nmugnaini »

Hey hey,
I'm having trouble with setting up OSC between 2 machines and a controller. I have multiple ethernet connections and in the OSC preferences tab I can't select the network card that OSC messages are coming from. The only thing that shows is an IP address for a different network.
Is this a bug or is it not capable of choosing an OSC network?
Cheers -Nick

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Re: OSC Network

Post by Zoltán »

Indeed OSC preferences doesn't always show the correct IP of the machine, and you can't choose a specific adapter currently. But it should still work.
Resolume listens on all adapters for OSC input, and sends output to the system which then will determine the NIC to use for the correct output route.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Any chance you could ask the guys if having the option to hardcode an adapter would be something they would consider in the future?
Has been on my list of requests for years. Most the stuff I write has hardcoded options that users set for DMX, and OSC, so they can specify what adapter and IP they want to use to make their setup's rock solid. (I wish NDI had that option as well, Have been requesting that for Newtek for some time as well).

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Issues come in these networking setups, when the user is just connecting network segments to different NICs without making sure to use different IP ranges.

Like, if you have NIC1, and NIC2, both on 10.0.0.0/24 IP,
the metric of NIC1 gives it higher priority
and you try to send OSC from Resolume to a device, which is connected physically to the NIC2 segment,
and the two segments themselves are not connected.

With OSC, the system will use the routing table, sends the packet on NIC1 as it's higher priority and matches the IP range of the destination.
This is the same behavior as in any other programs which rely on the system routing.
The easy solution is to double check the network ranges. The harder one is managing the system routing table IMO.

Limiting OSC input and output to a specific adapter would take a lot of flexibility out of possible setups.
With DMX you probably only have one console to control everything, but with OSC, you could have multiple phones or tablets sending interactive stuff.

NDI handles networking inside the library provided by Newtek. Unfortunately we don't have any means to control how it behaves.

Moving this to feature requests, so you can vote ;)
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

lemkecletus
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Re: Option to choose which Network adapter OSC uses

Post by lemkecletus »

OSC cannot be configured to come from a specified network. The order of services in macOS is used as the default in Millumin. It's possible to rearrange things in macOS's preferences if you don't like the default arrangement (for more information, read here (there are also commands to check the routing).