SMPTE features....

"Where is Feature X? I need Feature X! How can you not have Feature X?"
madido
Is taking Resolume on a second date

SMPTE features....

Post by madido »

Hello,
I would like to have the possibility for the clips to be triggered by incoming timecode.
Now I use a sequencer to trigger the clip with a midi note, but would be great to have a clip based preference to choose if automatically trigger the clip as the offset of the clip is reached, or to work as now with the clip running but not triggered.

Another useful thing would be the possibility to detach from timecode without restarting the clip.
Now when a clip is running in smpte and I choose timeline from the menu the clip restart from the beginning, sometime I need to start the clip in smpte chasing and at a given time unlock the timecode and go freerun (it happens often in live concert situations that the sequence with smpte is stopped and the band finish the song free...)

Thank you

Stefano

Joris
Doesn't Know Jack about VJ'ing or Software Development and Mostly Just Gets Coffee for Everyone

Re: SMPTE features....

Post by Joris »

Unlike Midi, SMPTE is not a control protocol, but just a transport protocol. In other words, it's a simple clock that tells other systems what time it is. It's not designed to be responsible for anything else besides that.

It's not impossible to put in some extra logic that will let Resolume take actions based on certain time values in the SMPTE signal. We could tell the clip to trigger if
- the SMPTE value is higher than the SMPTE offset value of the clip
- the SMPTE value is lower than the SMPTE offset value of the clip plus the length of the clip
- the clip is not already playing

Overall, we're a bit hesitant to do this, because it falls outside the direct responsibility of the SMPTE protocol. We'd be pushing it to do something that it's not designed for, and that's almost always a bad idea. Keep in mind I'm not saying it will never happen, I'm just explaining why this is not an option already.

Free roll is another one of those options that seems simple, but greatly depends on your intended use. SMPTE in Resolume was first developed to sync a track playing on CDJs to a video playing in Resolume. The video should be a direct slave of the SMPTE signal. Should the DJ decides to press stop in the middle of the track ("How is everybody feeling?!!!?" :roll:), the video should stop also, until the he presses play again. Similarly, when the DJ switches to another track, it would be very weird if the video started free-running because it doesn't detect a valid SMPTE signal anymore.

Again, it's not outside of the realm of possibility to implement this. I'm just explaining why we've held off on it so far.

For now, when you make sure the clip is set to Continue mode in Timeline, it will pick up where it left off when you switch from SMPTE to Timeline.
Continue.png
Continue.png (14.28 KiB) Viewed 7024 times

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

I have a SMPTE column triggering solution viewtopic.php?f=5&t=11392 maybe it would fit your needs.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

madido
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by madido »

Joris,
thank you for the suggestion about continue mode... that will do the trick :-)

Ravensc,
I'm a OSC controller user and I use it to trigger columns with timecode (In fact it saved my ass recently on a very complex project where I had to control 2 Arena system as once), but I think it would be cool to have some features integrated in Arena.

Thank you both for your help!

Stefano

Atreius
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by Atreius »

+1

I think the freerun should still be implemented. If the input timecode was lost, the clip would continue to play without freezing or stopping. The play mode you described still requires the switch from "SMPTE" mode to "Timeline" mode with manual intervention, this means wasting time in case of timecode problems.

it can't happen in a live concert

Atreius

Post by Atreius »

Another good feature for SMPTE would be the possibility to add envelopes in one clip to make some "Cues" for different timecode.
For example:
at 0 minutes of clip timecode is 00:00:01.00
at 5 minutes of clip timecode is 00:00:02.00

This is very helpful for fix problems and if you have a big media file with more different video inside.
You can launch only one clip and alla the media is ready to "hear" the SMPTE

My trick for do the same now, is to make the clip with the same media in layer above and launch togheter in column

Arvol
Might as well join the team

Post by Arvol »

Everything you have been asking for can be achieved with this:
https://pixelparty.gumroad.com/l/trigger_pixel_party
Including the freerun failover. Have been using this for years.

Atreius

Post by Atreius »

Arvol wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 15:40 Everything you have been asking for can be achieved with this:
https://pixelparty.gumroad.com/l/trigger_pixel_party
Including the freerun failover. Have been using this for years.
Yes i know, it's simple to answer "hey this external software can do this" i know. i can write my external application if i would.

Not good for me or for professional operator to use external application.
This is my opinion.

I can (and have already done) do the same with touch designer without paying or with VVVV or Python but I don't want to.
Resolume can do this if implemented.
Other major software called "mediaservers" do this within the software not with an external application.

My post is just a suggestion for better updates for Arena, because I'm a fan from the first version, I already use many mediaservers, I already know how to find solutions with external software but it's never the best way.
The best way is cooperation, like this forum, and constant development like other mediaserver software do.

Zoltán
Team Resolume

Post by Zoltán »

Yes i know, it's simple to answer "hey this external software can do this" i know. i can write my external application if i would.
We appreciate feature request posts. Unfortunately, the suggestions here take time to consider and eventually implement.
Have you clicked the Vote button on top yet?

I like workarounds, at least there is a way to do stuff meanwhile.
Software developer, Sound Engineer,
Control Your show with ”Enter” - multiple Resolume servers at once - SMPTE/MTC column launch
try for free: http://programs.palffyzoltan.hu

Atreius

Post by Atreius »

Zoltán wrote: Thu Mar 02, 2023 19:03
We appreciate feature request posts. Unfortunately, the suggestions here take time to consider and eventually implement.
Have you clicked the Vote button on top yet?

I like workarounds, at least there is a way to do stuff meanwhile.
Yes I have already voted
Thanks