MIDI Clock Jumping to 20 or 500 BPM

Post your questions here and we'll all try to help.
FreeTwitchBeats
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Re: MIDI Clock Jumping to 20 or 500 BPM

Post by FreeTwitchBeats »

Just keeping this thread alive to see if there are any known fixes with this issue.

PatrelRushlock
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by PatrelRushlock »

+1 on this 20 - 500 issue.

I'll say this: I can get resynced by bringing up the Preferences-> MIDI, and toggling the Clock checkbox. But inevitably, at some point there is enough traffic on the USB buss to cause enough delays that the 20 - 500 rears its UgLy head again.

I'd even go for a workaround that programmatically said "if the clock drifts too far, instead of banging 20 or 500, toggle the clock checkbox automatically". It'd be a drop down option where the "Pause on stop" and "Go to manual" options already are.

Interestingly, my ENTEC DMXIS relies on the same USB MIDI Clock signal coming from my Helix and it completely tolerates the traffic snarls and whacko readings, and settles back into sync on its own after the noise clears.

manymanyhaha
Hasn't felt like this about software in a long time

Post by manymanyhaha »

Bumping, having the same problem. Ableton is sending midi clock, tried both LoopBe1 or LoopMidi, BPM goes to 20 or 500 at some point. The only way to fix it is to go back in Preferences, un-selected the midi clock, then re-select it.

Any solutions?
live stream of album to Resolume youtube.com/@manymanyhaha/live

manymanyhaha

Post by manymanyhaha »

Bumping again, curious if anyone has a workaround?

I'm using ableton to derive tempo using Tempo Follower and then sending that via LoopMidi (or LoopBe1) to Resolume. It's not a steady tempo, Follower is constantly moving it a little up and down, even if the song has a steady tempo.

Sometimes seems to work well for awhile and other times pretty much goes straight to 20 or 500. I's like to find a solution or a workaround.

mowgli
Is seriously in love with Resolume. Met the parents and everything

Post by mowgli »

New version and this is still an issue :(

I have no idea how easy or hard it would be to fix this bug but I do know that keeping things in time is one of the basic functionalities of VJ software. MIDI clock not working is a major flaw, specially when it's a case of being completely unusable, not just a bit off.

brid
Met Resolume in a bar the other day

Post by brid »

Any update on this problem?

Running Avenue 7.15 on a macbook air M2. Sending midi from an Akai MPC Live II, latest firmware.
Works fine if I connect via midi DIN into a usb audio interface, but if I try sending midi over Bluetooth or wifi then the 20/500 problem kicks in really quickly.

I would of course like to have used Ableton Link but it's widely reported as super buggy on the MPC and I can't get it to recognise anything else on the network.

SeanBannister
Is taking Resolume on a second date

Post by SeanBannister »

I know one of the reasons bugs like this don't get fixed is developers can't replicate them consistently, I've found a way to replicate this, drop the Midi Clock BPM to 0 and then bring it back up and it fails every time on my system.

Might also help other people looking for work arounds. In my case I was syncing with VirtualDJ, I've written a script which turns my midi clock off and on to reset it:

Code: Select all

midiclock_active "loopmidi" off & midiclock_active "loopmidi" on
Still can't believe this is unresolved though. Ableton Link is not a suitable alternative due to this issue.

manymanyhaha

Post by manymanyhaha »

When sending a tempo from Reaper, I never have this problem. It's when I use Tempo Follower in Ableton that I experience this bug. Tempo Follower is really up and down and I wonder if the constant movement is what causes this bug to surface.

I haven't tried it yet but I am curious to see if https://hybridconstructs.com/pulse/ will keep a steadier tempo and not trigger this 20 or 500 bpm problem.